Did you know that the wonder plant aloe vera has myriad benefits for your hair? Yes, besides becoming a crucial ingredient in the skincare industry, aloe vera has proven to be a boon for hair health as well.
In this article, we talk about all the benefits of aloe vera for your hair and how to use it for hair growth.
Our Ayurvedic Doctor Speaks
‘’Aloe vera is rich in vitamins C, E, B-12, choline, and folic acid. These compounds strengthen your weak hair follicles by providing deep nourishment.’’
-Dr. Zeel Gandhi (Bachelor of Ayurveda, Medicine & Surgery), Chief Ayurvedic Doctor, Vedix
- What Does Aloe Vera Do For Your Hair?
- What Are The Benefits Of Aloe Vera For Hair?
- How To Use Aloe Vera On Hair?
- What To Do After Applying Aloe Vera On Hair?
- Does Aloe Vera Have Any Side Effects On Hair?
- How Often Should You Use Aloe Vera On Your Hair?
- How Long Can Aloe Vera Stay In Your Hair?
- Frequently Asked Questions
What Does Aloe Vera Do For Your Hair?
Aloe vera is a succulent plant with spiky leaves that have a nutrient-rich gel. This gel has deep nourishing, moisturizing, and healing properties  that benefit your scalp and hair in many ways.
Besides nourishing and strengthening your hair roots, aloe vera controls scalp inflammation and irritation. Moreover, aloe vera is suitable for all hair types and can be used by anyone.
Infamously known as ‘Kumari’ in Ayurveda, aloe vera is a tridosha hara herb . It has a high potential to restore balance among all the three doshas-Vata, Pitta and Kapha.. It can be an effective at-home solution to your chronic hair problems when combined with the right ingredients.
Ancient Egyptians regarded aloe vera as ‘the plant of immortality’. Aloe vera was widely used as an essential ingredient in regular beauty regimens of renowned Egyptian queens Cleopatra and Nefertiti.
What Are The Benefits Of Aloe Vera For Hair?
1. Rejuvenates Dry Scalp And Hair
Aloe vera has a high water content which makes it a great humectant for your scalp and hair. It provides essential nutrients to your hair follicles that make your hair grow healthy and prevent your scalp and hair tissues from drying out.
Cosmetic technology researchers from the University of São Paulo, Brazil, found that freeze-dried aloe vera extract is naturally effective in improving skin hydration through a humectant mechanism.
2. Relieves Dandruff And Itchy Scalp
Aloe vera is an effective natural hair cleanser that helps you remove dead skin cells, excessive sebum, dirt, and product build-ups from your scalp and hair. This helps you to fight off dandruff while keeping your scalp clean. Also, the anti-pruritic properties and proteolytic enzymes of aloe vera relieve you from itchy scalp conditions.
Studies in 2021 determined that aloe vera is highly effective in fighting against Staphylococcus species, which are commonly associated with dandruff problems and scalp itching.
3. Adds Soft Texture By Reducing Frizziness
Aloe vera acts as a deep conditioning agent that can soften your dry and frizzy hair. It locks your opened-up hair cuticles. giving your hair a soft and smooth texture. Also, it helps in retaining the natural oils in your scalp.
4. Eliminates Microbial Infections
Aloe vera is also known for its anti-fungal, antiseptic, and antibacterial properties. It promotes the health of your scalp and hair by fighting off scalp infections and dandruff. It also helps to calm itchiness and irritation in your scalp, caused by infections.
5. Curbs Hair Fall By Strengthening Hair Roots
"Aloe vera is rich in vitamins C, E, B-12, choline, and folic acid. These compounds strengthen your weak hair follicles by providing deep nourishment’’ says Dr. Zeel Gandhi, Chief Ayurvedic Doctor at Vedix. Thus, aloe vera prevents hair shedding from weaker roots and also controls your hair breakage.
Studies conducted on a hair tonic formulation containing aloe vera and licorice found that it is highly effective in accelerating hair growth to 0.1635 cm/day while there is a hair growth rate of 2.6617cm in a month.
6. Stimulate Healthy Hair Growth
Aloe vera improves the blood circulation to your hair follicles when it is applied to your scalp. Thus, it helps your follicles receive essential vitamins, minerals, and oxygen from your blood, which contribute to healthy hair growth.
7. Imparts Shine To Your Mane
Aloe vera has active amino acids which can turn your lifeless hair into shiny hair. These amino acids also help in repairing your damaged hair strands, thus, promoting thicker and voluminous hair growth.
8. Reduces Scalp Inflammation
Aloe vera contains fatty acids with rich anti-inflammatory properties . This helps in soothing your scalp irritation, bruises, and redness while repairing your damaged scalp tissues.
9. Protects Your Scalp And Hair From Sun Damage
Along with high collagen content, aloe vera has natural cooling properties too. This helps to keep your scalp and hair safe from the UV radiation of the sun.
10. Restores pH Balance On Your Scalp
Aloe vera has the same range of pH levelsas your scalp and hair. Thus, using aloe vera regularly can restore the pH balance of your scalp and hair, which might have been disturbed otherwise due to other factors.
How To Use Aloe Vera On Hair?
1. Aloe Vera As Overnight Spray
Prepare a solution by blending ½ cup of aloe vera gel and ¼ cup of ginger juice. Pour it into a spray bottle and use it on your entire scalp and tresses during bedtime. Massage your scalp and hair for about 20 minutes. Leave it overnight and wash it off the next morning.
2. Aloe Vera As leave-In Conditioner
Add about 10-15 drops of lavender oil to ½ cup of aloe vera gel. Blend it into a smooth liquid and transfer it into a pump bottle. Apply a little bit of this conditioner to your scalp and hair after every hair wash. Leave it for 2-5 minutes before going for your final hair rinse.
3. Aloe Vera To Control Frizziness
Mix a cup of aloe vera gel in a cup of coconut oil. Heat the mixture until the residue turns dark. Keep the mixture aside for cooling and store it in a container later. Massage your scalp and hair with aloe-coconut oil at least half an hour before your hair wash.
4. Aloe Vera For Dandruff Treatment
Add 10-15 drops of neem oil to 3-4 tsp of aloe vera gel. Massage this gel into your scalp. Leave it overnight and wash it off using a herbal shampoo the next morning. Repeat this weekly once or twice. This works well especially for people with elevated Pitta dosha.
You can also add 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar and 1 tsp of honey to 4 tsp of aloe vera gel. Leave it on your scalp for half an hour before washing it off with a mild or herbal shampoo.
5. Aloe Vera For Soft And Shiny Hair
Mix well 2 tsp of aloe vera gel, 2 tsp of yogurt, and 2 tsp of honey in a bowl. Apply this mask to your scalp and hair. Leave it for half an hour before washing it off. Repeat this once a week.
6. Aloe Vera For Root-Strengthening And Treating Premature Greying
Prepare a fine paste from 2 tsp overnight-soaked fenugreek seeds. Add 2 tsp of aloe vera gel to the paste. Apply this mixture to your scalp and hair. Leave it for half an hour and rinse it off thoroughly later.
7. Aloe Vera For Hair Growth
A. Mix well equal parts of onion juice and aloe vera gel. Apply this mixture thoroughly across your scalp and hair. Leave it for about 30-45 minutes before washing it off using a mild or herbal shampoo. Repeat this twice a week.
B. Mix aloe vera gel and amla juice or powder in equal quantities. Apply this paste to your scalp and hair. Let it sit for an hour and wash it off with water.
8. Aloe Vera For Repairing Split Ends
Prepare a fine paste by adding 2 tsp of hibiscus powder to ¼ cup of aloe vera gel. Apply this paste from the middle of your hair strands to the tip. Leave it for about 45-60 minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. Repeat this once a week.
9. Aloe Vera For Hair Loss Treatment
Mix equal parts of aloe vera gel and freshly brewed green tea. Apply this mixture to your scalp and give it a gentle massage for a few minutes. Leave it for half an hour and wash it off using cold water. This works best for DHT hair loss.
What To Do After Applying Aloe Vera On Hair?
After treating your hair with aloe vera remedies, you need to leave it for some time to let the ingredients soak into your scalp and hair tissues. Later when your hair becomes stiff, you can wash it off using water or a mild shampoo.
Does Aloe Vera Have Any Side Effects On Hair?
Some people might have an irritated and itchy scalp after applying aloe vera. They may also experience burning sensations and eczema . Usually, people who are allergic to tulips, garlic, and onions are often found to be allergic to aloe vera.
Perform a patch test before using aloe vera for your hair or skin. Apply a small amount of aloe vera gel anywhere on the elbow, nape of your neck, or inside of your wrist, and wait for 24-48 hours to determine if you are sensitive to it.
How Often Should You Use Aloe Vera On Your Hair?
“You need to wash your hair on a regular basis if you are applying aloe vera to your hair routinely. However, Washing your hair too often is not recommended, especially if you have dry scalp and hair, says Dr. Zeel.
For best results, you can use aloe vera for your scalp and hair once a week. If you have an extremely dry scalp or dry hair, use it twice or thrice a week,followed by a hair wash with a gentle shampoo.
How Long Can Aloe Vera Stay In Your Hair?
You can apply and leave aloe vera in your hair for an hour or extend it to maximum 6 hours. Remember that keeping your hair soaked in aloe vera for a prolonged period may trap unwanted dust particles in your hair.
However, if you have severe dry scalp and frizzy hair issues you can leave it overnight on your hair and wash it off the next morning.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can We Apply Aloe Vera Directly On Hair?
Yes. If applied topically, aloe vera penetrates your scalp and hair tissues directly. This imparts enhanced conditioning and nourishment to your hair.
You may find several aloe vera gel products available in the market. However, it is best to use raw juice, freshly extracted from the plant.
2. When Should You Apply Aloe Vera To Your Hair?
You can plan to apply aloe vera on your hair at least 3-4 hours before your hair wash. For best results, you can apply it during bedtime, leave it on overnight and wash your hair the next morning.
3. Is It Safe To Leave Aloe Vera Overnight On Your Hair?
Yes, it is safe. Leaving your hair overnight with aloe vera makes it smoother and softer.
Seek medical advice from your doctor before using aloe vera in any form to treat your hair problems.
The Last Word
- Aloe vera is enriched with more than 75 nutrients, including 12 vitamins and 18 amino acids that are essential for healthy hair growth .
- Treating your scalp and hair regularly with aloe vera can help your hair get the essential nutrients and prevent it from any kind of damaging effects.
- Aloe vera also helps to keep your hair softer, smoother, and lustrous.
- Aloe vera balances your scalp pH while protecting your hair from sun damage.
1. Aloe vera for human nutrition, health and cosmetic use-A review (Mar-2012), International Research Journal of Plant Science
2. A BRIEF REVIEW OF MEDICINAL PROPERTIES OF KUMARI (Aloe vera Tourn.) FROM KOSHA AND NIGHANTUS (Mar-2019), Indian Journal of Agricultureand Allied Sciences
3. A Close Look at Aloe Vera Barbadensis and It’s Effect on Hair Health (Apr-2018), Researchgate
4. Aloe vera: Potential candidate in health management via modulation of biological activities (Jul-Dec-2015), Pharmacognosy Review
5. The anthropology of hair loss. (Medical Anthropology) (May-2003), Gale Academic Onefile
6. ALOE VERA: A SHORT REVIEW (2008), Indian Journal of Dermatology
7. The Effect of Aloe Vera Clinical Trials on Prevention and Healing of Skin Wound: A Systematic Review (Jan-2019), National Library of Medicine
8. Mechanism of Aloe Vera extract protection against UVA: shelter of lysosomal membrane avoids photodamage (Jan-2016), National Library of Medicine
9. pH and acidity of fresh and concentrated aloe vera gel juice, Researchgate
11. Chapter 3: Evaluation of the Nutritional and Metabolic Effects of Aloe vera, Herbal Medicine: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects. 2nd edition.
Vedix Customised Ayurvedic Hair Care RegimenBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Anti-Hairfall ShampooBuy Now
Vedix Customised Ayurvedic Anti-Hairfall OilBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Hair Regrowth SerumBuy Now
Vedix Vartha Hydrating No-Frizz Hair ConditionerBuy Now
Vedix Men Care Hair Re-Growth SerumBuy Now
Vedix Men Care Hair Fall Control Shampoo for Dry HairBuy Now
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful
How can we make this page better?
What did you like about this page?
Thank you for your feedback on this article.