Are you tired of spending thousands on expensive hair treatments, only to get temporary solutions? Brahmi can be a natural remedy for your hair woes. Besides enhancing your memory, Brahmi offers a plethora of benefits for your hair. Scroll down to know about them and learn how you can use brahmi to strengthen your hair.
Our Ayurvedic Doctor Says
“Although no side effects have been recorded regarding overdose of Brahmi, Ayurvedic experts suggest that you should not consume more than 3-5 gm of this herb, per day.”
-Dr. Zeel Gandhi, Chief Ayurvedic Doctor, Vedix
Ayurvedic View Of Brahmi
Brahmi are of two kinds Aindri and Mandukparni. Here we talk about Aindri - Bacopa monnieri. According to Ayurveda, Brahmi is known to balance Pitta dosha; an imbalance of which otherwise causes loss of hair and leads to other hair-related problems. It has a bitter and sweet taste (Rasa) and cooling energy (Virya).
The ancient Ayurvedic texts reveal the role of Brahmi in improving longevity (Aushya), heart health (Hrdaya), strengthening the nervous system (Majjadhaty Rasayana), curing skin disorders (Kustha), treating diabetes (Meha), etc.
When it comes to promoting hair health, not only does Brahmi improve blood circulation to the hair follicles, but it also helps to manage stress, thus resulting in less hair fall.
What Are The Various Forms Of Brahmi That Are Available In The Market?
You can find various forms of brahmi in the market. You can use brahmi as a medicated ghee (ghrita), medicated oil, fresh juice (svarasa), powder (churna), fermented beverage, syrup, paste (lepa). Brahmi is also found in tea form that can be consumed with honey.
“Both Brahmi ghrita and Brahmi oil are made by making a paste of the leaves and then steeping the paste in carrier oil or ghee via Taila Paka Vidhi,” says Dr. Zeel.
Benefits Of Brahmi For Hair
When used in its powder, paste and oil form, Brahmi has been found miraculously effective for your hair. Some of its benefits are discussed below.
1. Reduces Hair Fall
Brahmi oil is rich in hair-friendly nutrients like vitamin C, saponins, flavonoids, etc. These nutrients strengthen the roots of your hair and reduce hair fall. It reduces cortisol levels in your body; higher levels of which are a major cause of hair fall.
Brahmi oil also contains alkaloids that increase the amount of protein in your hair follicles, thus making them strong and preventing hair fall.
2. Removes Dandruff
Dandruff is mainly caused by a flaky or overly oily scalp. When you apply brahmi oil to your scalp, it balances the sebum production. Sebum is slightly acidic, ranging from 4.5 to 6.0 on the pH scale and its acidic nature prevents your scalp from becoming too dry or oily, thus reducing the chances of dandruff to a great extent. 
3. Boosts Hair Growth
Brahmi consists of many nutrients like calcium, vitamin C, zinc, etc. These nutrients enrich your hair follicles and boost hair growth. When you apply a herbal mask made of brahmi powder on your scalp, it strengthens your blood vessels and stimulates hair growth.
4. Improves Scalp Health
Brahmi cleanses your scalp by removing dandruff and excess oil from it. It also cools and relaxes the scalp. It benefits Kapha-dominated scalp or greasy scalp, especially during the summers and in humid regions.
5. Gives A Soothing Effect
Brahmi is enriched with antioxidants that are essential for soothing your scalp and nourishing your hair. Massaging your scalp with Brahmi oil can add a soothing effect. Its cold (Sita) and healing (Roman) nature reduces any burning sensation on your scalp and cools it down.
6. Ensures Overall Hair Health
Brahmi’s cooling and calming effect makes it a great solution to reduce stress and anxiety which in turn helps to promote beautiful and healthy hair growth. You can consume it or apply it topically to reap the benefits.
7. Prevents Split Ends
Split ends are caused due to the dryness in the hair and often occur in frizzy or Vata-dominant hair types. Brahmi oil works effectively on managing dry and frizzy hair . When used in powdered form on your hair, Brahmi creates a protective layer, thus reducing the chances of split ends and making your hair smooth.
How To Use Brahmi For Hair?
1. How To Use Brahmi For Hair Loss?
- Mix ½ cup of brahmi powder with 2 tsp of neem powder, amla powder, reetha powder and shikakai powder each.
- Turn the dry ingredients into a paste with the help of a little water.
- Apply this mixture mainly near the scalp.
- Leave this pack on your hair for 1 hour and then wash it with any herbal shampoo.
- Use this mask at least once a week to see visible results.
2. How To Use Brahmi For Grey Hair?
- Infuse Brahmi oil with Bhringraj oil to make a concoction.
- Massage your scalp with this oil at least twice a week.
- Do not leave it overnight if you have a Kapha dominated scalp or an oily and greasy scalp.
- Remember to store this oil at room temperature and keep it away from sunlight.
Vedix Tip: You can add 2 tbsp of Brahmi powder to your henna mixture and apply it to your hair to cover your greys.
3. How To Use Brahmi For Split Ends?
- Massage brahmi oil from your scalp till the ends.
- Massage in a circular motion from the crown to the entire skull.
- Leave it overnight for better absorption and moisturization of the hair.
4. How To Use Brahmi For Dandruff?
Brahmi mixed with hibiscus flower is highly effective in cleansing your scalp and removing dandruff and dead skin. If you want to prepare this concoction at home here is a method you can follow:
- Take some hibiscus flowers and 2 teaspoons of brahmi powder.
- Turn it into a herbal paste by adding a little bit of water.
- Add some reetha powder to the herbal pack for better removal of dandruff.
- Apply this Ayurvedic hair pack from roots to tip and wash after an hour.
- Use this once a week for visible results.
Precautions While Using Brahmi On Hair
- If you have a hypersensitive scalp, make sure to mix Brahmi powder with milk or honey before applying it to your scalp, to prevent irritation.
- If you are using Brahmi oil, make sure to dilute it with coconut or olive oil before applying it to your hair. When you mix Brahmi oil with other carrier oils, it enhances the effect of the Brahmi herb as well as the healing properties of the carrier oils.
Frequent application of any hair oil can clog the pores and lead to fungal infections and hair loss. It is advisable to apply brahmi hair oil twice or thrice weekly.
Side Effects Of Using Brahmi
Dr. Zeel says, “Although no side effects have been recorded regarding overdose of Brahmi, Ayurvedic experts suggest that you should not consume more than 3-5 gm of this herb, per day.”
Frequently Asked Questions On Brahmi For Hair
1. Can I Leave Brahmi In My Hair?
Although Ayurveda suggests not to leave oils in your hair overnight, Brahmi oil is one of the rare oils that you can leave on throughout the night unless you have an extremely oily and greasy scalp. However, if you are using Brahmi as a hair mask or paste, it is practical to wash it off once it dries.
2. Can I Take Brahmi On An Empty Stomach?
Brahmi can be taken both after and before a meal. However, it can be absorbed better by your body if taken on an empty stomach.
3. Are Brahmi And Bhringraj The Same?
Brahmi and Bhringraj are two different Ayurvedic herbs that have very similar benefits. Brahmi is a perennial herb, well known for its memory-enhancing property. If you want a nourished scalp and thick hair, Brahmi is the herb you need.
Bhringraj oil comes from a plant known as “false daisy” and belongs to the sunflower family. It is known as the ‘Rasayana' or ingredient that slows down the aging process. 
The Last Word
The magical herb, Brahmi, not only relieves you from stress but also balances the heat in your body and acts as a natural remedy to all your hair problems. It ensures good health for your hair. But before you start using it for boosting your hair health, learn about the side effects. If required, consult your Ayurvedic doctor before using it on your hair.Know Your Dosha Now
Vedix Customised Ayurvedic Hair Care RegimenBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Anti-Hairfall ShampooBuy Now
Vedix Customised Ayurvedic Anti-Hairfall OilBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Hair Regrowth SerumBuy Now
Vedix Vartha Hydrating No-Frizz Hair ConditionerBuy Now
Vedix Men Care Hair Re-Growth SerumBuy Now
Vedix Men Care Hair Fall Control Shampoo for Dry HairBuy Now
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful
How can we make this page better?
What did you like about this page?
Thank you for your feedback on this article.