Do you dream of flaunting thick, healthy, and lustrous locks without splurging on expensive hair care buys? While you may have tried all kinds of vitamin supplements, specialized shampoos, thickening serums, hair treatments, and hair packs, you may not have gotten any remarkable ‘hair transformation’ story to share!
The ancient and holistic science of Ayurveda offers the best kept secrets for naturally strengthening and nourishing your hair. One such is a herbal oil, derived from the king of herbs is Bhringraj. Scroll down to explore more!
What Is Bhringraj Oil?
Bhringraj oil is a natural oil derived from the leaves of Bhringraj plant, also known as false daisy. This is a popular remedy in Ayurveda, and helps balance the three doshas of kapha, pitta, and vata in the body. It is popularly used to enhance strength, softness, luster, and hair growth . Additionally, it is an effective remedy to prevent and manage hair loss and premature greying of hair.
Ayurvedic physicians also recommend the oral ingestion of bhringraj oil to cure everything from liver and neurological disorders to respiratory and cardiovascular diseases.
Bhringraj oil is commonly available in different sets of formulations. However, all formulations primarily contain an inactive carrier (like coconut oil or sesame oil) and derivatives of the false daisy. The plant commonly grows in different parts of Brazil, Thailand, China, and India. Some of the other secondary ingredients present in formulations are costus root (Saussurea lappa), licorice root, gotu kola, brahmi oil, and amla oil.
Bhringraj oil is also popularly known as Kesharaj in India. It means ‘king of the hair’ for its potential benefits.
How Does Bhringraj Promote Hair Growth?
A potent source of natural restorative and curative properties, bhringraj oil is a powerhouse of essential nutrients like Vitamin D and E, calcium, steroids, polypeptides, magnesium, and iron . It is also a good source of plant proteins which make it a potent herb for hair care.
Bhringraj oil is the penultimate solution for hair loss. It helps pacify the aggravated kapha and vata doshas, lowers stress levels, and cools the scalp which are the predominant reasons of hair breakage and loss. Additionally, it helps prevent scalp dryness, boosts blood circulation, and provides deep nourishment to the hair follicles, thereby minimizing hair breakage.
You can effectively use the ayurvedic hair oil for promoting hair growth by using the double boiler process for warming a little amount of bhringraj oil.
- Place the oil container in a bowl, made up of kansa or copper metal, with hot water. This will indirectly heat up the oil.
- The indirect method of heating prevents heat deterioration of the ayurvedic herbs present in the oil, keeping its efficacy intact for the massage.
- Apply the warm ayurvedic oil onto your scalp and hair followed by a gentle massage beginning from the scalp to the hair length.
- Leave the ayurvedic hair oil to condition your hair by wrapping a hot towel around it for at least 30-40 minutes.
- Wash your scalp and hair with a mild, herbal shampoo in normal water.
A. Common Names & Uses Of Bhringraj
Seed oil, Seeds, Roots, Leaves, Flowers, Stems
Benefits Of Bhringraj For Hair
Bhringraj works wonders in treating and solving hair care issues such as premature greying and hair loss. Ayurveda describes it as a rasayana which has notable properties of rejuvenation and age reversal. One of the most common ways of effectively using the ayurvedic herb is by its oil extract.
1. Prevents Dry Scalp & Dandruff
The ayurvedic hair oil is dense in volume with a specific gravity higher than other oils. This is why bhringraj oil can penetrate and condition deep into your scalp and prevent any dryness. It can be warmed before application to prevent dandruff. Also, it prevents greasy, oily scalp and provides immediate relief from itchy scalp due to dandruff.
2. Promotes Hair Growth & Prevents Baldness
Bhringraj oil helps in improving blood circulation in your scalp with regular massage. The essential nutrients present in the ayurvedic hair oil penetrate deep into the roots, strengthen and nourish the hair follicles, and minimize bald patches. It helps in promoting hair growth.
3. Prevents Hair Loss
Are you aware that high stress levels may be the primary reason for your continuous hair fall and breakage? The ayurvedic hair oil is a natural remedy for preventing hair breakage and hair loss. Additionally, it provides a calming fragrance which helps you relax. Regular massage of your scalp and hair with bhringraj oil minimizes stress-related hair loss and soothes your mind.
Another major cause of hair loss is the lack of essential nutrients required for hair growth. The ayurvedic hair oil is enriched with essential nutrients that provide your scalp and hair with the required nourishment, thus halting hair loss.
4. Boosts Hair Growth
Regular massage of your scalp and hair with the ayurvedic oil help boost the blood circulation along with providing essential nutrients and oxygen. It leads to vasodilation, a natural mechanism wherein the blood capillaries stretch open, thereby improving blood circulation. Vasodilation of the blood vessels helps boost hair growth.
5. Prevents Premature Greying
The leaves of bhringraj plant are useful in extracting black dye. This is used as a natural hair colouring agent. When mixed with amla, balloon vine, and indigo, the ayurvedic hair oil effectively prevents the appearance of premature grey hair .
6. Adds Natural Shine & Luster
The essential nutrients present in the ayurvedic oil help nourish and deep condition your scalp and hair, thereby enhancing its natural shine and luster. When potent ayurvedic herbs like amla and bhringraj extracts are combined with sesame oil, it helps to provide your hair with a natural lush and gloss. This traditional ayurvedic formulation is also called bringadi oil.
7. Ayurvedic Action & Properties Of Bhringraj
Tikta, Katu (Bitter, Pungent)
Ruksha, Laghu (Dry, Light)
How To Use Bhringraj For Hair?
Bhringraj is beneficial for your skin, hair, and vision. Additionally, it helps in naturally purifying the blood circulation as well as improve liver and heart functions.
A. How To Use Bhringraj Churna For Hair?
Bhringraj churna is a powdered form of bhringraj plant. It is made from using different parts of the ayurvedic plant such as the stems, roots, flowers, and leaves. You may take half or one tsp of bhringraj churna twice or thrice a week for best results.
For colouring your hair and treating grey hair, you may
- Take one tsp of bhringraj churna in a mixing bowl.
- Add two tbsp of pure coconut oil, gently heat and mix it properly.
- Apply this onto your scalp and hair followed by a gentle massage.
- Leave the oil for at least one hour before rinsing with a mild, herbal shampoo using normal water.
- Repeat the above steps at least twice a week for best results.
You may also prepare a hair mask by,
- Adding bhringraj churna with yogurt, coconut or sesame oil, or normal water.
- Apply the mixture onto your scalp and dry hair and leave it for half an hour.
- Rinse it with a mild, herbal shampoo.
B. How To Use Bhringraj Oil For Hair?
Bhringraj oil is a traditional ayurvedic remedy for preventing dandruff, grey hair, and hair loss. Additionally, the ayurvedic hair elixir also treats mental weakness, headache, and numerous skin issues. Gently massaging your hair with the ayurvedic oil helps to improve blood circulation, improve memory, and provide a soothing effect. It helps boost natural hair growth and prevent hair breakage due to high stress levels and dandruff.
For hair growth and good scalp health,
- Take a small quantity of bhringraj oil and apply it on your scalp and hair.
- Gently massage the oil with your fingertips and leave it for an hour.
- Rinse your hair with a mild, herbal shampoo once or twice depending on its cleansing action.
C. How To Use Bhringraj Leaves For Hair?
- Take a bunch of freshly plucked, small bhringraj leaves.
- Grind it to make a thick paste in a mortar and pestel or grinder.
- Take half a tsp of the thick paste and apply it onto your scalp.
- Leave it for at least 6-7 hours before rinsing it with normal water.
- Repeat the steps twice or thrice a week to prevent hair loss.
- Bhringraj tail is used in Nasya karma for treating various health issues and hair loss.
Vedix Tip: Before buying any bhringraj oil formulation, always check that the carrier oil is a cold-pressed pure oil, which is gentle on the scalp and skin as well as less acidic.
What Are The Possible Side Effects Of Bhringraj Oil?
Very less information is available regarding the safety of bhringraj oil in the long-term usage. However, the safety concern is imperative as there is a wide variety of bhringraj oil formulations commercially available.
- When topically applied, a few bhringraj oil formulations may result in a burning or tingling sensation. This sensation may be a result of the carrier oils, especially if they are vegetable oils derived with heat-extraction. Any other secondary ingredient in the end product may also lead to such sensation.
- The primary component, Eclipta alba, is known to cause frequent urination urges when consumed orally. This frequent urge happens due to its diuretic effect.
- Bhringraj oil should be applied or used with due diligence if you are taking any diuretic like furosemide, as it may cause low blood pressure (hypotension) and excessive urination.
- Eclipta alba may also cause blood clotting and neutralise the effects of blood thinners (anticoagulants) such as clopidogrel and warfarin. Individuals with bleeding conditions should avoid using bhringraj oil completely or use it with extreme caution.
- Avoid using bhringraj oil, both orally or topically, a fortnight before surgery to minimize the risk of uncontrolled bleeding.
- The safety and efficacy of bhringraj oil in small children, nursing mothers, and pregnant women is still not established. It is therefore best advised to avoid using bhringraj oil for the above-mentioned groups.
Avoid taking a bhringraj oil product formulated for hair application orally as it may have ingredients deemed toxic for oral consumption.
A suitable example is neem oil which is a popular carrier oil. It may cause Reye’s syndrome and brain inflammation when taken orally.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Bhringraj
1. Does Bhringraj Regrow Hair?
Yes, by regularly consuming bhringraj churna based on your ayurvedic practitioner’s advice, you may ensure healthy, longer, and lustrous hair. The miracle herb helps prevent hair breakage and conditions hair roots for healthy hair growth. This happens due to the keshya property (hair growth promoter) of bhringraj.
2. Is It Safe To Consume Bhringraj Leaves?
Yes, it is safe to consume bhringraj leaves in the form of an herbal juice. It aids in digestion as well as improves your appetite. It can be taken 2-3 times a day before having your meals.
3. Can You Mix Bhringraj Oil With Coconut Oil?
Yes, pure coconut oil acts as a safe carrier oil for bhringraj oil. Coconut oil is extremely nourishing and conditioning for your hair as it promotes hair growth. Due to its large quantities of medium chain fatty acids, coconut oil is enriched with natural antimicrobial and antibacterial properties.
The Last Word
Widely renowned as a powerful ‘hair rejuvenator’, bhringraj successfully treats a wide variety of conditions including inflammation, pain, arthritis, diabetes, respiratory issues, stomach ailments, heart and liver disorders.
It helps prevent premature greying, dandruff, and hair loss, while imparting a natural shine and luster to your mane. Also, it calms and soothes your mind, thereby providing you complete relaxation after a long, tiring day!Know Your Dosha Now
Vedix Customised Ayurvedic Hair Care RegimenBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Anti-Hairfall ShampooBuy Now
Vedix Customised Ayurvedic Anti-Hairfall OilBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Hair Regrowth SerumBuy Now
Vedix Vartha Hydrating No-Frizz Hair ConditionerBuy Now
Vedix Men Care Hair Re-Growth SerumBuy Now
Vedix Men Care Hair Fall Control Shampoo for Dry HairBuy Now
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful