Are you looking for natural ways to restore your skin’s radiance and health? Have you ever considered including fresh and seasonal fruits in your daily diet for attaining the natural glow in your skin? A healthy diet packed with green, leafy vegetables and seasonal fruits can be a valuable aid.
Dr. Zeel Gandhi, Chief Ayurvedic Doctor at Vedix says, “To extract maximum benefits from the fruits you eat, make sure they are in season and ripe. Ayurveda recommends never to mix fruit and dairy products like milk and yoghurt. When mixed, they tend to aggravate skin problems and can precipitate vitiligo. So fruit smoothies or milkshakes are a big no-no. It's best to have them alone, or with non dairy, nuts or soy milk.”
Scroll down to know how eating fruits can give you clear skin and know about the best fruits to consider for healthy, radiant and glowing skin.
Does Eating Fruits Give You Clear Skin?
When you consume fruits every day as a part of your diet, you provide your body a wide range of nutrients, essential vitamins, and antioxidants. Including fruits in your daily diet aids in minimizing inflammation and avoiding different types of infections.
Additionally, the essential vitamins and minerals found in fruits help in the production of collagen which makes your skin radiant, healthy and firm . Due to the presence of skin and health-benefiting qualities, fruits are an ideal choice to be considered in your diet regime.
Food nutritionists have discovered that inclusion of specific healthy food items in your diet may help your complexion as they switch off genes responsible for causing inflammation and strengthen your body to build and repair tissues.
Eating an apple can give you more energy than gulping down a cup of coffee! Thanks to its high mineral, vitamin, and carbohydrate content, apples offer you a high dose of nutrition to help you stay active for hours.
What Will Happen If You Eat Fruits Every Day?
- Immediate benefits: As soon as you eat a fruit, you immediately consume antioxidants, phytochemicals, electrolytes, water, minerals, vitamins, and dietary fiber. This power-packed nutritional intake can be seen as an immediate benefit.
- Long term benefits: In the long-term, daily consumption of fruits is associated with a minimized risk of chronic ailments such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and heart disease. Inclusion of fruits in your diet also helps you with weight management and a lower risk of obesity .
- Varied nutrition: Citrus fruits have a high dose of Vitamin C, watermelon is enriched with lycopene, mangoes are a powerhouse of beta carotene, and apples and berries provide you a wide range of important antioxidants.
- Youthful healthy skin: Antioxidants are similar to scavengers in your body. These help by clearing out free radicals, which may damage your system by causing various types of diseases and premature aging . Hence, including a wide variety of colourful fruits packed with antioxidants keeps your skin youthful, glowing, and healthy.
- Immunity booster: Apart from being skin-friendly, antioxidants also minimize inflammation and improve your immune response. Studies have shown that antioxidants aid your immune system by removing free radicals. If your immune system fails to remove all free radicals and few of them react with your cellular DNA, then you may have a higher risk of cancer development.
As each type of antioxidant offers a plethora of health benefits, nutritionists recommend switching to different types of fruits in your daily diet.
Best Fruits To Eat For Glowing Skin
If you have been facing skin issues like tired, wrinkled, lifeless, dry, or dull skin, then eating fruits can help. In fact, including wholesome and seasonal fruits in your daily diet is the best possible way to provide a natural shine and glow to your skin.
While a few people are naturally blessed with healthy and flawless skin, others may have to work hard to attain a radiant complexion. By eating some of the following nutritious fruits, you can flaunt a glowing and healthy skin.
To attain a supple, healthy, and blemish-free complexion, don’t just splurge on the expensive, chemically-laden anti-aging skincare products. All you need to do is include avocado in your diet.
Benefits Of Avocado For Skin
- Rich in monounsaturated fatty acids, avocado is known to hydrate and protect your skin by minimizing the risk of early signs of aging caused by the harmful UV A and B rays.
- Additionally, it boosts the absorption of various fat-soluble vitamins which also shield your skin from ultraviolet radiation.
How To Use Avocado
A. Include avocado in your salads at lunchtime.
B. You can also use an avocado spread in your bread toasts as a quick snack or breakfast option.
C. Making guacamole or using it in soups are other delicious options you can consider.
D. You may simply eat avocado as a fruit.
If you are longing for clear and blemish-free skin, then remember to make lemon a part of your daily diet and skincare regime.
Benefits Of Lemon For Skin
- Enriched with Vitamin C, this citrus fruit is a powerful antioxidant which fights off free radicals and flushes out toxins from your system.
- It shields your skin from hyperpigmentation.
- It also alleviates inflammation from your skin and clears out acne breakouts, giving you a clear and glowing complexion.
How To Use Lemon
A. Squeeze a few drops of lemon in a glass of warm water. Add a few drops of pure honey, and drink the concoction in the morning on an empty stomach.
B. A chilled glass of lemon juice and water can be refreshing in the scorching summers.
C. You may add a few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice on your salads as a dressing.
D. Mix a few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice in rose water. Apply the mixture on your face and leave it for 15 minutes. Wash off with cold water to get a translucent and natural glow.
Who doesn’t love the fresh, tangy and juicy flavour of a freshly squeezed orange? This bright-coloured fruit is not only vibrant in hue, but it also offers a plethora of skin and health benefits.
Benefits Of Orange For Skin
- Packed with Vitamin C, this citrus fruit is a boon for your skin health as it prevents oxidative damage and photodamage.
- Enriched with antioxidants, oranges also help in preventing DNA damage, boosting collagen production, and minimizing inflammation.
How To Use Orange
A. You can eat an orange every day, in the morning or afternoon.
B. Squeeze a few ripe oranges to make a refreshing drink.
C. You may add oranges in your desserts, puddings, or salads.
D. Apply a few drops of freshly squeezed orange on your skin to brighten your complexion and remove pigmentation.
Orange peels are extremely beneficial! They contain four times the amount of natural fiber than the actual fruit. Additionally, it contains higher amounts of antioxidants than the actual fruit.
Watermelon is a blessing for your skin health, especially for those with sensitive or acne-prone skin. Don’t give it a miss for attaining glowing skin in the summertime.
Benefits Of Watermelon For Skin
- The juicy, red fruit is composed of 92% water, which makes it effective in flushing out toxins from your skin as well as regulating your digestive system.
- Watermelon is packed with Vitamin A, C, B1, and B6.
- It is also a rich source of carotenoids, flavonoids, and lycopene. The lycopene present in watermelon prevents your skin from free radical damage.
How To Use Watermelon
A. Freshly extracted watermelon juice can be consumed in the morning or afternoon.
B. You may eat the fruits as a quick snack in the afternoon.
C. Watermelon can be added in your puddings, desserts, and smoothies.
D. You can apply freshly extracted watermelon pulp on your skin for 10 minutes for a dewy, fresh look.
Pineapples are a popular and beneficial ingredient in several face masks, due to their property of promoting the cell regeneration process.
Benefits Of Pineapple For Skin
- Pineapples have a potent enzyme known as bromelain which helps in renewal of dead skin cells.
- Bromelain also minimizes inflammation on your skin.
- Pineapple also contains Vitamins A, C, and K along with vital minerals which play an important role in your skin health.
How To Use Pineapple
A. You may consume freshly sliced pineapples as your morning or afternoon snack.
B. You can add slices of pineapple in your desserts or pizzas.
C. Gently rubbing a slice of freshly cut pineapple on your neck and face can give you brighter and younger looking skin. Avoid rubbing against more sensitive areas, especially on cuts and acne. Allow the juice to dry for approximately five minutes before washing off with normal water. You will observe the change after a few applications.
Vedix Tip: We suggest using the face treatment only once a week as the acidic content of pineapple may irritate and inflame your skin. It is advisable to do a small patch test on your skin before, to understand your skin sensitivity.
Apricots are gentle and tender fruits which make your skin smooth, supple, and hydrated. Even when they’re completely dry, apricots are one of the best dry fruits which impart a natural glow to your skin.
Benefits Of Apricot For Skin
- Packed with folate and Vitamin A, C, and K, apricots are highly beneficial for your skin health.
- This juicy, tender fruit shields your skin and body from free radical damage.
- A rich source of dietary fibers, these fruits also aid in improving bowel movements.
How To Use Apricot
A. You may add a few finely chopped apricots in your breakfast cereals or smoothies.
B. By mixing dried apricots with delectable spices, you can eat them as a midday snack.
C. Take a few apricots, remove the seeds, and blend them to form a puree like consistency. Apply the mixture on your face and neck, leave it to dry for 15 minutes, and rinse off with normal water.
Pomegranate is renowned for its skin and health benefits, especially for giving you a glowing, clear and healthy skin. Along with the pearly, red seeds, the white membrane and skin of the fruit are also a rich source of essential nutrients and antioxidants.
Benefits Of Pomegranate For Skin
- These help in shielding your skin from sun damage as well as minimizing hyperpigmentation.
- Additionally, the pearly seeds of pomegranate also contain essential Vitamins K and C, and minerals such as phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
How To Use Pomegranate
A. Mix the pearly seeds of pomegranate in your breakfast cereals, porridge, fruit bowl, or have it simply as a midday snack.
B. You can make fresh pomegranate smoothies or juice by using a blender.
C. You may add the juicy seeds in your salads, custard, and puddings.
D. Press a few juicy seeds and apply the freshly extracted juice on your face and neck to get a quick, natural glow.
The ripe, succulent, and delicious mango is a highly beneficial fruit for revitalizing your skin health. Its naturally healing properties make it an effective ingredient in several skincare products and routines.
Benefits Of Mango For Skin
- The juicy fruit is enriched with Vitamin A, C, E, and K.
- Additionally, it contains xanthophylls, polyphenolics, flavonoids, and beta carotene.
- Enriched with dietary sugar and fiber, mango is beneficial in tackling stomach issues like constipation.
- It also has anti-inflammatory properties which helps in protecting your skin from sun damage as well as DNA damage .
How To Use Mango
A. You can consume freshly cut mango slices in the morning or afternoon.
B. Indulge in fresh mango juices or smoothies in the summers.
C. You may add it in your custards, desserts, or puddings.
D. Take the freshly extracted pulp of one mango, apply it directly on your face and neck. Allow it to dry for 15 minutes and wash off with normal water.
E. For dry skin, mix a few drops of honey, yogurt, and mashed mango. Apply the mix on your face and neck, leave it to dry for 10-15 minutes, and rinse with normal water.
F. For combination or oily skin, mix a few drops of rose water and lemon juice in mango pulp. Apply the pack on your face and neck, leave it to dry for 10 minutes before rinsing off with normal water.
Papaya is a highly beneficial fruit which should be definitely included in your daily diet if you desire a flawless, glowing, and healthy skin.
Benefits Of Papaya For Skin
- It is a rich source of Vitamin A, B, and C, and essential minerals such as potassium, copper, and magnesium.
- Papaya also contains antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties, which makes it a potent remedy to cure different types of skin issues like eczema, warts, ulcers, etc.
How To Use Papaya
A. Eat a bowl of freshly cut papaya in the morning or afternoon.
B. You may include it in your smoothies or shakes.
C. Take a small piece of fresh papaya and mash it to form a fine puree. Apply the pack on your face and neck, leave it to dry for 10-15 minutes before rinsing off with normal water.
D. For dry, dull and flaky skin, you may apply freshly extracted papaya pulp mixed with a few drops of almond oil. Leave it for 10 minutes before washing off with tepid water.
Apple is a highly versatile fruit which is popularly used for its wide variety of culinary usefulness. Apples are a popular choice for those who desire a glowing skin in winter. The delicious fruit is also a rich source of nutrition.
Benefits Of Apple For Skin
- Enriched with potassium, magnesium, calcium, Vitamin A and C, and dietary fiber, apples are a boon to your skin health.
- A potent source of antioxidants, apples aid in eliminating free oxygen radicals from your system.
How To Use Apple
A. Eat an apple as a whole fruit daily either in the morning or afternoon.
B. You may add it to your breakfast cereals, oatmeal, cornflakes, or fruit salads.
C. You can also have an apple smoothie or shake.
D. Apply grated apple on your skin and neck for instant glow and freshness.
E. For dry skin, you may apply freshly extracted apple pulp along with a few drops of honey to give instant hydration and moisture boost to dull and fatigued skin.
Banana is a humble yet extremely beneficial fruit which is easily available throughout the year. Not only does it provide you an instant boost of energy, but it is also well-known for its skin-friendly properties.
Benefits Of Banana For Skin
- Enriched with Vitamin A, C, E, and K, and dietary fiber, banana is also a powerhouse of calcium, potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus.
- It is an excellent moisturizer and it has antioxidant benefits.
- The skin of bananas is also known to have healing properties on your skin. It can help to minimize acne scars and wound marks.
How To Use Banana
A. Having a whole banana in the morning can mark a healthy start to your day.
B. You may add the yummy fruit in your porridges, cornflakes, or oatmeal to make them more delicious.
C. Add them in your shakes, smoothies, cookies, cakes, or pancakes.
D. Apply a mashed banana on your face and neck. Leave it for 10-15 minutes, and wash off with lukewarm water for instant glowing skin.
Grapes are tiny fruits available in red, black, and green varieties, with each one offering you its own benefits.
Benefits Of Grapes For Skin
- A potent antioxidant known as resveratrol is found in grapes, which shields your skin from sun damage and also from skin cancer.
- The seeds offer various skin rejuvenating and healing properties.
- Grapes are a powerhouse of Vitamins C and K, and essential minerals such as phosphorus, calcium, and potassium.
How To Use Grapes
A. Have a bowl of fresh grapes in the morning for an extra zing.
B. You may have a bunch of grapes whenever you feel hungry as they provide you an instant energy boost.
C. Spice up your afternoon salads by adding these juicy fruits.
D. Squeeze a few grapes to extract the juice. Apply it all over your face and neck, leave it for 5-10 minutes before washing off with normal water. This acts as an instant tonic for tired and dull skin.
Kiwis are known to be extremely beneficial for your skin health.
Benefits Of Kiwi For Skin
- The juicy fruit has high amounts of Vitamin C which not only shields your skin from DNA damage, but also protects it from free radical damage.
- Kiwis are also helpful in fighting off wrinkles and fine lines as well as boosting collagen production in your skin.
How To Use Kiwi
A. Eat a whole kiwi in the morning or as a midday snack.
B. You can blend a few kiwis with plain yogurt to make a delicious smoothie in summers.
C. You may add slices of kiwi in your salads, shakes, puddings, or desserts.
D. For an instant glowing skin, take a few mashed kiwis and apply it all over your face and neck. Leave it to dry for 10-15 minutes before washing off with lukewarm water.
E. For hydrating or lightening up your skin, you can add a small pinch of turmeric into the mashed kiwi extract and apply the mixture onto your skin.
If you desire acne-free, flawless and radiant skin, then strawberry is a popular choice.
Benefits Of Strawberry For Skin
- The ripe and juicy fruit has high amounts of Vitamin C and salicylic acid or alpha-hydroxy acid, that makes your skin clear and blemish-free.
- Additionally, the presence of ellagic acid aids in preventing collagen damage, appearance of wrinkles as well as protecting your skin from sun damage.
How To Use Strawberry
A. Add a few freshly chopped strawberries in your breakfast porridge, cornflakes, or cereals.
B. You may add the juicy, plum fruits in your shakes and smoothies.
C. Add a few finely chopped strawberries in your vegetable or fruit salad for vibrancy.
D. These plump, red fruits can also be added in your desserts, muffins and cakes.
E. For a rosy, dewy glow, mash a few strawberries, apply it on your face and neck, and allow it to dry for 5-10 minutes. Wash off with cold water.
The green, zesty cucumber has the power to make anyone feel energetic and refreshed all day long.
Benefits Of Cucumber For Skin
- Cucumber has high-water content which easily keeps you well-hydrated in the day.
- A rich source of antioxidants, the green fruit aids in shielding your body from free radical damage.
- The skin of cucumber is also rich in dietary fiber and Vitamins C and K.
How To Use Cucumber
A. You may eat a whole cucumber every day as a midday snack.
B. A few slices of cucumber can be added in your salads and sandwiches.
C. You can also drink a glass full of freshly extracted cucumber juice.
D. Apply thin slices of cucumber directly onto the affected areas of your face for healing and nourishing your skin from inside. It also helps in minimizing wrinkles.
E. Mix one cup of freshly grated cucumber and add a few drops of lemon juice and sugar. Apply the mixture onto your face and neck. Leave it for 10-15 minutes, and wash off with lukewarm water.
Cherries not only add a touch of elegance and beauty when used as garnish in the culinary world, but these ripe fruity delights also make your skin naturally glowing and beautiful.
Benefits Of Cherries For Skin
- Packed with vital nutrients such as iron, calcium, Vitamin A and C, fiber, carbohydrates, and potassium, cherries are extremely beneficial for your skin health.
- These ripe fruits aid to clear your skin by eliminating dead skin cells and nourishing your skin from deep within.
How To Use Cherries
A. Eat a bowl of cherries in the morning or afternoon.
B. You may also add the tiny fruits in your yogurt, smoothies, and desserts.
C. Extract a few cherry seeds, mash it to form a pulp, and apply it onto your face and neck. Rinse it off with normal water after 10-15 minutes for glowing skin.
Gooseberry, also known as amla, is a popular fruit for glowing and flawless skin .
Benefits Of Gooseberry For Skin
- Rich in Vitamin C along with other essential nutrients, the antioxidants present in amla fight off the free radicals.
- Gooseberry has high-water content which keeps you well-hydrated.
- Additionally, it aids in flushing out toxins from your system and minimizes acne breakouts, making your skin glowing and clear.
How To Use Gooseberry
A. Eat a handful of gooseberries after breakfast and lunch.
B. You may add a few plum gooseberries in your desserts and smoothies.
C. Mix half a teaspoon of amla powder with some yogurt and honey. Apply the face mask onto your face and neck, and leave it to dry for 10 minutes. Wash off with cold water for glowing and radiant skin.
Muskmelon is a water-containing fruit with a sweet aroma. As delicious as it tastes, muskmelon provides numerous benefits to your skin.
Benefits Of Muskmelon For Skin
- Packed with folate, sodium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, Vitamins A, C, and K, and dietary fibers, muskmelon is a highly nutritious fruit.
- Additionally, it has anti-inflammatory properties which prevents acne breakouts.
- The antioxidants present in muskmelon, aid in shielding your skin from adverse free radicals.
How To Use Muskmelon
A. Consuming freshly extracted muskmelon juice is extremely beneficial for your skin.
B. You may eat a bowl of freshly cut muskmelon as a midday snack.
C. Mash a ripe muskmelon and add a few drops of freshly extracted grape juice. Apply the mixture onto your face and neck, and leave it to dry for 15 minutes. Wash off with tepid water for glowing skin.
An edible, delicious red berry, tomato is a widely used ingredient in the culinary world.
Benefits Of Tomato For Skin
- Packed with a host of nutrients such as potassium, phosphorus, manganese, magnesium, Vitamin A, proteins, fats, and carbohydrates, tomatoes are beneficial for your skin and overall health.
- It contains a potent antioxidant known as lycopene which aids your system to fight off harmful free radicals.
- When you apply the pulp of tomato on your skin, it helps to minimize open pores and provides an instant glow.
How To Use Tomato
A. You can add a few slices of freshly cut tomatoes in your salads.
B. Have tomato juice or a smoothie in the morning.
C. Include tomato in your dishes, sandwiches, pizzas, and soups.
D. Extract the pulp from a tomato and add a few drops of lemon juice. Apply the mask onto your face and neck. Leave it to dry for 10 minutes. Wash off with cold water for glowing and clear skin.
Blueberries are considered one of the most potent superfoods. Packed with antioxidants, the juicy berries aid your system to eliminate free radicals which damage your cells and promote the onset of early aging.
Benefits Of Blueberries For Skin
- Blueberries enhance the strength of collagen due to the high amounts of anthocyanins. Anthocyanins are a type of phytonutrients which impart the blue hue to these berries.
- Additionally, blueberries are also enriched with probiotics which help your stomach bacteria to ferment fibers into anti-inflammatory fats.
- These help in improving your immune response and reduce inflammation.
How To Use Blueberries
A. Eat a bowl of blueberries in the morning or afternoon.
B. You may also add these juicy berries in your smoothies and desserts.
C. Mash a few ripe blueberries and add a teaspoon of yogurt. Apply the pack on your face and neck, and leave it to dry for 20 minutes. Rinse with cold water for glowing skin.
Foods To Avoid For Clear & Glowing Skin
By now you must be knowing that what you eat reflects on your skin. Saying no to the following foods will definitely help you to achieve your clear and radiant skin goals.
1. Refined Sugar
Eating a sugary candy or other sugar-laden snacks may be quite appealing, but the consequences are not pleasant. The sudden elevation in glucose level in the bloodstream triggers an adverse reaction called glycation.
In this process, the sugars bind to various protein molecules, resulting in the formation of advanced glycation end (AGE) products. While these compounds are naturally formed in your skin with advancing age, increased consumption of sugar leads to the overproduction of AGEs.
The condition becomes worse when they interlink with elastin and collagen fibers in your skin, making the tissues hard and weak. Once your skin fails to bounce back, it leads to the loss of firmness. This finally causes sagging skin, wrinkles, and fine lines.
Do you suffer from acne breakouts? if yes, then consumption of dairy products, including milk may be wreaking havoc on your skin. Several skin experts believe there is a strong link between the two.
The worst is caused by the consumption of skimmed milk. This highlights that some molecule in the whey is responsible for adversely affecting your skin. The androgen present in milk may also enhance your natural level of androgen, which is linked with acne and oily complexion.
3. Spicy & Hot Foods
People suffering with rosacea may experience a sudden flareup of redness and blotchiness after eating spicy foods. A few individuals with fair skin may also experience sudden flushing after consumption of hot and spicy food.
The Last Word
Whether you want to reduce the early signs of aging like wrinkles and fine lines or treat your persistent acne breakouts, a diet rich in seasonal fruits and vegetables can help. This also lets you deal with hyperpigmentation, sun spots, or prevent any other irritating skin conditions. Making these wonder fruits a part of your daily diet, can help you achieve your clear and glowing skin goals.Know Your Dosha Now
Vedix Customised Ayurvedic Skin Care RegimenBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Face CleanserBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Face MoisturizerBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Face SerumBuy Now
Shweth Glow Restore Exfoliating Face ScrubBuy Now
Pradyut Skin Firming & Brightening Face PackBuy Now
Aloka VC Brightening Face SerumBuy Now
Prakhya Acne Rescue Face SerumBuy Now
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful
How can we make this page better?
What did you like about this page?
Thank you for your feedback on this article.