From anti-aging face creams, night serums to sunscreens and what not - when it comes to flaunting a youthful and glowing face, you leave no stone unturned to achieve it. Isn’t it? But, do you take similar care of your hands?
Just like your face, your hands too need care. Neglecting them can lead to formation of wrinkles, making your hands look old. So what to do when wrinkles  start to appear on your hands even before you truly turn old?
In this article, we tell you what causes wrinkles on your hands and the different treatments to prevent them.
Why Do We Have Wrinkles On Our Hands?
As per Ayurveda, people who have crossed 50 years are believed to have Vata dosha dominance in the body  and it is during this time that their skin develops wrinkles, fine lines, etc. as signs of aging.
In some people, these wrinkles may appear even at a young age, which indicates the aggravated Vata dosha in their skin. While different factors contribute to aggravated Vata dosha in your body and skin, below are some of the most common causes:
- Lack of nutritious diet or having Vata dosha elevating foods excessively
- Lack of sufficient water consumption
- Insufficient sleep
- Alcohol consumption
- Poor blood circulation in body due to elevation in Pitta or Kapha doshas
- Living in dry and cold weather (Vata dominant) conditions for a long period
- Lack of physical activity or exercise
- Excessive use of hand cleansers (alcohol-based) which strip off moisture and sebum from your skin
- Exposing your hands to harsh chemicals (in dishwashing soaps or household cleaners)
- Chronic exposure of your hands to UV radiations from the sun 
“The elevation in Vata dosha caused by the above factors results in your skin turning extremely dry, delicate, and losing collagen and elastin. And, this causes wrinkles on your hands over a while,” says Dr. Zeel Gandhi, Chief Ayurvedic Doctor at Vedix.
Collagen  is the main structural protein component in your skin that is responsible for skin strengthening. It also boosts hydration and elasticity in your skin.
How To Get Rid Of Wrinkles On Hands?
1. Ayurvedic Herbs
Among several herbs recommended in Ayurveda that have natural anti-aging properties, here we have picked some of the most powerful herbal ingredients. These ingredients provide antioxidant cellular protection and remove wrinkles on your hands by controlling aggravated Vata dosha in your skin.
A. Haridra (Turmeric)
It can be used by people with any Ayurvedic Prakriti. Add 2-3 spoons of honey to a small cup of turmeric. Add sufficient amounts of coconut milk to the mixture to prepare a smooth paste. Apply this pack on your cleansed hands and leave it for half an hour. Rinse it off with normal water later.
B. Tulsi (Basil)
It can be used by people with Vata-Kapha Prakriti. Mix tulsi powder and freshly extracted aloe vera gel in equal amounts. Stir well to form a fine paste. Apply it on your hands and wash it off with cold water after half an hour.
C. Shigru (Drumstick)
It can be used by people with Vata-Kapha Prakriti. Prepare a paste by adding 2 spoons of honey and 1 spoon of lemon juice to a small cup of moringa or drumstick powder. Apply it on your hands and wash it off with lukewarm water after half an hour.
D. Haritaki (Myrobalan)
It can be used by people with any Ayurvedic Prakriti. Prepare a pack by adding 2-3 spoons of aloe vera gel, 2-5 drops of almond oil to 2-3 spoons of haritaki powder. Apply it on your hands and give them a gentle massage. Wash it off after half an hour.
E. Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera)
It can be used by people with Vata-Kapha Prakriti. Mix ashwagandha and ginger powders in equal amounts. Add a spoon of lemon juice and sufficient water to make a fine paste. Apply it on your hands and wash it off after 30-45 minutes.
“You can also seek these Vata-pacifying herbs in your skincare products such as body cleansers, serums or moisturizers to get rid of wrinkles on your hands,” says Dr. Zeel.
2. Essential Oils
Using essential oils is one of the proven ways to fight aging in your skin. While you can use almond oil, argan oil or jojoba oil as the carrier oil, add 5-10 drops of any of the below essential oils to 1-2 spoons of carrier oil. Mix well and apply the blend to your hands twice a day for better results.
A. Patchouli Oil
It has anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties that help to control wrinkles that are formed due to overexposure to the sun.
B. Neroli Oil
It has antimicrobial and skin-soothing properties which helps in rejuvenating your skin cells and enhance its natural glow, together with fighting the formation of wrinkles.
C. Frankincense Oil
It enhances the detoxification mechanism in your skin, which helps in maintaining its elasticity. It has anti-inflammatory properties and promotes the growth of tissue that helps in reducing fine lines and stretch marks on your skin.
D. Carrot Seed Oil
It is one of the best-known natural sun blockers. It prevents the breakdown of your skin cells and boosts their rejuvenation.
E. Pomegranate Oil
Rich in antioxidants and proteins, pomegranate oil helps in the regeneration of skin tissue and imparts firmness and elasticity to it.
Vedix Tip: Before using essential oils on your skin, always do a patch test on the small area on the inside of the elbow. Proceed using the essential oil on your hands if there is no reaction or allergy in the region until 48 hours.
3. Home Remedies
A. Grind a small cup of rice into very fine powder. Add 2 spoons of rose water and 2 spoons of raw milk to it to form a smooth paste. Apply it on your hands thoroughly and leave it until dry. Later, wash your hands with lukewarm water.
B. Exfoliate your hands regularly using sugar and lemon juice as a natural scrub.
C. Soak your hands in a bowl of milk for at least 15-20 minutes and wash them under running water. You can also use coconut or almond milk instead of dairy. Do this after exfoliating your hands with any mild Ayurvedic scrub.
D. Apply a freshly made pineapple pulp on your hands and wash them after half an hour. Do this every alternate day.
E. Prepare a pulp of fully ripened banana and apply it all over your hands. After half an hour, rinse it off using lukewarm water.
F. Blend a boiled carrot with peel. Add a spoon of honey to it and mix well to form a thick paste. Apply the paste on your hands and wash it off after half an hour.
G. Rub your hands with cucumber slices daily. Massage your hands gently for 5 minutes before rinsing with water.
H. After you finish eating a watermelon, use the rind to treat wrinkled skin on your hands. Prepare a fine paste by crushing the watermelon rind with some added water. Apply it to your hands and wash it off after half an hour.
4. Other Topical Treatments
A. Use retinol (a vitamin A derivative) based hand cream every night on your hands .
B. Apply lactic acid-based moisturizing lotion to your hands daily.
How To Prevent Wrinkles On Hands?
1. Do not let your body get dehydrated. Consume adequate water (about 2-5-3 liters for adults) every day.
2. Always apply sunscreen to your arms along with your face for at least half an hour before you step outside into the sun. Ensure the sunscreen has a minimum SPF of 30.
3. Apply a moisturizer based on your skin type or elevated doshas to your hands in the morning as well as at night. It's very important to have a night care routine for your hands too.
4. While sanitizing has become essential these days, prefer using soap and water to wash your hands instead of sanitizers at least when you are at home. In this way, you can minimize the usage of alcohol-based sanitizer to prevent wrinkles in your hands.
5. Always wear hand gloves up to your elbows when you are handwashing clothes, utensils, or cleaning home to prevent contact of your hands to harsh chemicals in detergents and other cleaning agents.
6. Ensure you wear hand gloves when you go out during winters or in cold/dry weather conditions.
7. Avoid contact with hot water to your hands for a prolonged period.
8. Quit smoking and consuming alcohol.
9. Have a proper sleep cycle for at least 6 hours every night.
10. Stick to a regular exercise regimen.
11. Keep your diet full of nuts, fruits, and vegetables. Always have nutritious foods rich in vitamins and minerals essential to your body. Avoid junk and foods with artificial flavors and preservatives.
The Last Word
The skin on your hands may turn extremely delicate and develop long-lasting wrinkles if not taken care of. Besides your face, it is very important to keep your hands and legs too sufficiently hydrated and moisturized to maintain soft and wrinkle-free skin.
At Vedix, by evaluating your unique skin concerns, we bring you a customized Ayurvedic skincare regimen that pacifies your elevated doshas and resolves your specific skin problems.Know Your Dosha Now
Vedix Customised Ayurvedic Skin Care RegimenBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Face CleanserBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Face MoisturizerBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Face SerumBuy Now
Aloka VC Brightening Face SerumBuy Now
Prakhya Acne Rescue Face SerumBuy Now
Niraj HydroMatte Oil Free Face Gel For WomenBuy Now
Anudha Glow Restore Moisturizing Face Lotion For WomenBuy Now
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful
How can we make this page better?
What did you like about this page?
Thank you for your feedback on this article.