It is natural to get envious when you run into someone who has thicker and fuller hair locks bouncing beautifully. Wondering if it is all about good genes or any specific hair care routine that can promote a thicker hair growth? In this article, we will tell you everything about the hair thickness and Ayurvedic secrets that can help you achieve healthy and thicker hair naturally. Read on.
Our Ayurvedic Doctor Speaks
"As per Ayurveda, people with dominant Vata dosha have thinner hair while people with dominant Kapha dosha have thicker hair type. And, people who have dominating Pitta dosha have hair with medium thickness."
-Dr. Zeel Gandhi, Chief Ayurvedic Doctor, Vedix
Why Is Your Hair Losing Thickness?
The thickness of your hair strand is determined by the size of your hair follicle. A hair follicle is the structure of a hair strand present inside your skin pore. If the circumference of your hair follicle expands, then your hair strand becomes thicker.
A hair follicle comprises parts that are responsible for the mechanism of the entire life cycle of a hair strand. The stem cells  present in a hair follicle can regenerate throughout your life. In a regular hair life cycle, the active stem cells stop producing hair temporarily, keeping their regeneration in check with discrete on-off periods.
Reasons Why Your Hair Is Losing Thickness
1. If your hormones are imbalanced, then the androgen hormones such as DHT weakens and shrinks your hair follicles, causing follicle miniaturization
2. When the stem cells are gradually damaged by age, they eventually turn the hair follicle into the skin. This natural phenomenon takes a significantly longer time, meanwhile miniaturizing your hair follicles.
3. Genetics is one thing that is responsible for your hair thickness, which cannot be blamed but it can be dealt with.
The hair produced by the miniaturized follicle loses its thickness. If most of your hair follicles are miniaturizing, then you can notice your hair is missing its fuller thickness.
Can You Get Thicker Hair?
Yes. You can grow hair thicker by reopening the miniaturized hair follicles. Though certain factors reduce the number of your stem cells, the follicle miniaturization can be reversed with the operating stem cells.
Hair follicles need nourishment through your blood vessels. Also, they go through complex interactions with your hormones.
Stimulation of blood flow in your scalp is a key to open your hair follicles. Hormonal balance regulates metabolism in your stem cells to support regeneration.
"As per Ayurveda, people with dominant Vata dosha have thinner hair while people with dominant Kapha dosha have thicker hair type. And, people who have dominating Pitta dosha have hair with medium thickness,’’ says Dr. Zeel Gandhi, Chief Ayurvedic Doctor at Vedix.
In Ayurveda, the lack of nourishment is linked to the aggravated Vata dosha and hormonal imbalance is linked to the aggravated Pitta dosha, which can result in loss of thickness in your hair. Hence, restoring balance to the elevated Vata and Pitta doshas with specific Ayurvedic herbs can promote thicker and stronger hair growth.
How To Get Thick Hair Naturally?
A. Hair Care Routine
Follow this hair care routine consistently for a few months to make your hair grow faster and thicker.
1. If your hair is too dry, apply an adequate quantity of organic coconut oil daily and wash it once a week. If your hair is oily, apply oil one hour before the head bath thrice a week. You can also add a few drops of essential oil into the coconut oil.
2. Massaging your scalp for 10-15 minutes after the oil application boosts the blood circulation greatly in your scalp, thus promoting nourishment to the follicles.
3. Prefer washing your hair using a herbal shampoo.
4. Comb your hair with a wide-toothed brush once in the morning and in the night before going to bed.
5. Wear a plait instead of leaving your hair loose while you sleep.
6. Nourish your hair with a suitable herbal hair mask once a week.
7. Intake foods that are rich in proteins and nutrients.
8. Practice yoga in an open place with fresh air and sun exposure to release stress and absorb vitamin D for hair follicle regeneration.
A hair strand contains cuticles as an external layer, which envelops the middle layer called cortex. The cortex accounts for almost 90% of the total weight and width of a hair strand. And, the innermost layer of a hair strand is called medulla, which is absent in people with thin hair.
B. Essential Oils
Essential oils are concentrated oils of medicinal plants extracted through a unique distillation process. As per the scientific studies, the efficacy of peppermint oil  in activating hair follicles is more than that of minoxidil.
Lavender oil, peppermint oil, rosemary oil, tea tree oil, cedarwood oil, lemongrass oil, clary Sage oil, ylang ylang oil, and thyme oil are some of the best essential oils to grow hair thicker.
Benefits Of Essential Oils
1. Essential oils improve blood circulation in your scalp to expand your hair follicles.
2. Moisturizes your scalp to prevent dryness, thus pacifying elevated Vata.
3. Regulates the function of sebaceous glands in your hair follicles to excrete an adequate amount of sebum.
4. Elasticate your hair strands to prevent breakage.
5. Aromatherapy and scalp massage using essential oils can release your stress and balance hormones.
How To Grow Hair Thicker Using Essential Oils?
1. Mix 2 to 5 drops of any essential oil into a cup of any of the carrier oils like coconut, olive, almond, or sesame seed oil.
2. Pour the solution onto your scalp and massage with your fingertips. Move your fingers soothingly all over your scalp.
3. Regulates the function of sebaceous glands in your hair follicles to produce an adequate amount of sebum.
4. Elasticate your hair strands to prevent breakage.
5. Aromatherapy and scalp massage using essential oils can release your stress and restore hormonal balance, thus pacifying elevated Pitta.
Word Of Caution
Essential oils are not safe to ingest directly. Take medical advice before using it internally. Even for topical application, do a patch test on your skin before applying it on your scalp.
C. Ayurvedic Herbs
Ayurvedic holistic methods of hair thickening utilize the therapeutic properties of herbs. The comprehensive approach priorly targets the balance of your Doshas - the fundamental bio-energies in your body. Ayurveda emphasizes on regulating your lifestyle routine to balance the tridosha constitution.
Dr. Zeel says, "Unlike the conventional treatments where hair fall returns as soon as the therapy stops, Ayurvedic healing therapies are often permanent solutions."
Amla, fenugreek seeds, aloe vera, moringa leaves, curry leaves, bhringraj, ashwagandha, brahmi, ginseng, saw palmetto, jatamansi, and nettle are some of the the best herbs to grow thicker and longer hair.
D. Hair Masks
The impact of a herbal hair mask penetrates deeper into your scalp to nourish hair follicles and hydrate hair strands from the roots to tips. Below herbal masks condition your hair, improve thickness and give it a natural luster that lasts longer.
1. Amla-Shikkakai-Fenugreek Hair Mask
A. Take two tablespoons of amla paste. If you use powder, marinate it overnight in a refrigerator.
B. Add one tablespoon of shikakai powder.
C. Add one tablespoon of soaked and ground fenugreek seeds.
D. Squeeze one lemon
E. Use enough curd to mix all the ingredients to form a thick paste.
F. Apply the hair mask like you apply henna.
G. Leave it on for an hour and rinse it off with water.
1. Amla's Vitamin C, antimicrobial and antioxidant properties can help increase the size of your hair follicles.
2. Shikakai is a fruit of hair, packed with multivitamins and phytonutrients that can nourish your hair follicles and boost hair growth.
3. Fenugreek is rich in lecithin and nicotine. It can rebuild your hair follicles.
4. Lemon juice is a detoxifying agent that strips away toxic build up in your hair follicles.
Yogurt's lactic acid, protein, and zinc balance your scalp's ecosystem and activate your follicles to regenerate at optimum capacity.
2. Ashwagandha-Brahmi Hair Mask
Ayurvedic herbal powders are easy to use for a hair mask. You can marinate the powders in your refrigerator for two days for the best results.
A. Take one tablespoon of Ashwagandha herbal powder
B. Add one tablespoon of Brahmi herbal powder
C. Use enough milk to blend the ingredients into a smooth paste.
D. Apply the hair mask from roots to tips of your hair.
E. Leave it on for an hour and rinse off with lukewarm water.
1. Ashwagandha  normalizes cortisol levels to prevent follicle miniaturization and increases antioxidants to stimulate blood circulation in your scalp.
2. Brahmi precisely thickens your hair strands by promoting follicle regeneration.
3. Bhringraj-Neem Hair Mask
A. Take a handful of neem leaves.
B. Add a handful of Bhringraj leaves or powder or oil.
C. Grind the ingredients with water to make a thick paste.
D. Apply it all over your scalp, focussing on your hair roots.
E. Leave it on for a couple of hours.
F. Rinse it off with plain water.
1. Neem is the most prevalent hair care ingredient used in herbal hair masks. It promotes thicker and longer hair growth.
2. Bhringraj is an antihypertensive herb that calms your mind and makes you sleep better, regulating hormones.
Chemical shampoos contain harsh surfactants such as sulfates or sulfonates. Half of the ingredient is water-soluble, and the other half is not. If your scalp interacts with the sulfates, it forms lather that strips off both necessary and unnecessary materials in your hair roots. So, please think twice before using it.
On the other hand, herbal shampoos contain natural surfactants to cleanse your hair, which also retain the necessary oils for your scalp health. The natural shampoo ingredients are free of harsh chemicals and suitable for all hair types. Also, herbal shampoos infuse natural oils and minerals into your hair follicles to nourish and strengthen your hair roots.
Vedix Tip: It is always best to prefer Ayurvedic shampoos with natural herbal extracts for your hair wash. But, if you prefer a chemical-based shampoo, then make sure you dilute it before using it on your hair. This minimizes hair frizz and breakage caused by harsh chemicals present in them.
A shampoo is followed by a hair conditioner to condition your hair until the next wash. Avoid chemical-based conditioners that only offer temporary benefits. Instead, use a homemade hair conditioner to treat your hair problems from the roots. Here's how to prepare a hair conditioner easily:
1. Take a small amount of a hydrating oil such as coconut oil, olive oil, shea butter, or yogurt.
2. Add a spoon of pH balancer like apple cider vinegar or lemon juice into it.
3. Mix the ingredients with a liquid base like water.
4. You can wet your hair, squeeze out excess water, and apply it to your hair tips.
5. Leave it for 3 to 5 minutes and rinse it off.
6. If your hair is dry, condition your hair after shampooing.
7. If your hair is oily, condition your hair before shampooing.
F. What To Eat
A balanced diet nourishes the digestive fire in your body, regulating cellular metabolism in the hair follicle' stem cells. Blood vessels supply vitamins to your hair follicles. Biotin helps cells convert food to energy. Keratin builds a hair strand. Therefore feed your hair through a nutritious diet to grow hair thicker and stronger.
Foods that help to thicken your hair are salmon fish, eggs, peanuts, peanut butter, spinach, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, almonds, sweet potatoes, fenugreek seeds, amla, and curry leaves.
The Dos And Don'ts For Thick Hair
What To Do:
1. Use the right shampoo and conditioner.
2. Hydrate your hair by drinking lots of water.
3. Take a herbal hair supplement.
4. Regularize your sleep patterns to reduce stress.
5. Massage your scalp before every hair wash.
6. Rinse with cold water.
7. Prefer air drying your hair naturally rather than using a blow dryer.
8. Protect your hair from pollution and hard water.
What To Avoid:
2. Avoid using harsh chemicals. For instance, too many chemicals are used for permanent hair rebonding.
3. Avoid over-styling, and always use a heat protection spray before heat styling.
4. Don't apply oil on your greasy hair.
5. Don't rub your hair with a towel. Just pat dry it.
6. Never remove tangles from your wet hair. Your hair is weak and fragile when it is wet. It quickly falls out of your hair follicles.
7. Don't wear your hair up too tightly. For instance, a ponytail makes your hair thinner at your temples.
8. Quit smoking.
How Long Does It Take To Thicken Your Hair?
Thicker hair growth takes just a few months of following a healthy hair care routine unless there is an underlying health condition. Please don't be impulsive to opt for conventional hair thickening treatments while on the go.
Natural methods of growing thicker hair may not show instant results like bouncy hair in a commercial ad. But, herbal hair care  results in long-lasting follicle health and fuller thickness of your hair.
The Last Word
It requires time and patience to grow hair thicker and fuller. Don't be tempted to use chemicals on your scalp to achieve quicker results.
Natural hair care products bring out long-lasting results and protect your hair in the long run. Ayurveda can delay the process of follicle miniaturization while regulating hormones to nourish your hair follicles and grow hair thicker.
At Vedix, we customize an Ayurvedic hair care regimen based on your unique hair needs and dosha imbalances.Know Your Dosha Now
Vedix Customised Ayurvedic Hair Care RegimenBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Anti-Hairfall ShampooBuy Now
Vedix Customised Ayurvedic Anti-Hairfall OilBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Hair Regrowth SerumBuy Now
Vedix Vartha Hydrating No-Frizz Hair ConditionerBuy Now
Vedix Men Care Hair Re-Growth SerumBuy Now
Vedix Men Care Hair Fall Control Shampoo for Dry HairBuy Now
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful
How can we make this page better?
What did you like about this page?
Thank you for your feedback on this article.