Do you remember your mother cleansing your hair with soap nut decoction? Well, those were the good old days when we used natural hair care solutions. What if you can make a simple switch to hair care products formulated with natural extracts?
Ayurveda's plethora of herbs fulfill the many needs of your hair. Its integrative approach rules out the root cause of your thinning hair to replenish thicker hair growth. Let us find out how.
Why Is Your Hair Losing Thickness?
The thickness of your hair strand is determined by the size of your hair follicle. If the circumference of your hair follicle expands, then your hair strand becomes thicker. A hair follicle is the structure of a hair strand present inside your skin pore.
A hair follicle comprises parts responsible for the mechanism of your entire hair life cycle. Stem cells  in a hair follicle can regenerate throughout your life. In a regular hair life cycle, active stem cells temporarily stop producing hair, keeping their regeneration in check with discrete on-off periods.
Reasons Why Your Hair Is Losing Thickness
1. If your hormones are imbalanced, then androgens and DHT weakens and shrinks your hair follicles causing follicle miniaturization.
2. When the stem cells are gradually damaged by age, they eventually turn the hair follicle into the skin. This natural phenomenon takes a significantly longer time, meanwhile miniaturizing your hair follicles.
3. Inheritance is one thing that cannot be blamed but can be treated.
The hair produced by the miniaturized follicle loses its thickness. If most of your hair follicles are miniaturizing, you can notice your hair is missing its fuller thickness.
Can You Get Thicker Hair?
Yes. You can grow hair thicker by reopening the miniaturized hair follicles. Though certain factors reduce the number of your stem cells, follicle miniaturization can be reversed with the operating stem cells.
Hair follicles need nourishment through your blood vessels. Also, they go through complex interactions with your hormones.
Stimulation of blood flow in your scalp is a key to open your hair follicles. Hormonal balance regulates metabolism in your stem cells to support regeneration.
How To Get Thick Hair Naturally?
A. Hair Care Routine
Follow this hair care routine consistently for a few months to make your hair grow faster and thicker.
1. If your hair is too dry, apply an adequate quantity of organic coconut oil daily and wash it once a week. If your hair is oily, apply oil one hour before the head bath thrice a week.
2. Massage your scalp using a mixture of a few drops of essential oil and carrier oil.
3. Wash your hair using herbal shampoo.
4. Comb your hair with a wide-toothed brush once in the morning and night before going to bed.
5. Wear a plait instead of leaving your hair loose.
6. Nourish your hair with a suitable herbal hair mask once a week.
7. Intake foods rich in proteins and nutrients.
8. Practice yoga in an open place with fresh air and sun exposure to release stress and absorb vitamin D for hair follicle regeneration.
It takes seven years for your hair to grow up to your waist and three years to grow up to your shoulders.
B. Essential Oils
Essential oils are concentrated oils of medicinal plants extracted through a unique distillation process. Scientific research on the efficacy of peppermint oil  in activating hair follicles was more successful than minoxidil.
Lavender oil, Peppermint oil, Rosemary oil, Tea Tree oil, Cedarwood oil, Lemongrass oil, Clary Sage oil, Ylang Ylang oil, and Thyme oil are the best essential oils to grow hair thicker.
Benefits Of Essential Oils
1. Essential oils improve blood circulation in your scalp to expand your hair follicles.
2. Moisturizes your scalp to prevent dryness.
3. Regulates the function of sebaceous glands in your hair follicles to excrete an adequate amount of sebum.
4. Elasticate your hair strands to prevent breakage.
5. Aromatherapy and scalp massage using essential oils can release your stress and balance hormones.
How To Grow Hair Thicker Using Essential Oils?
1. Mix 2 to 5 drops of peppermint oil with your carrier oil like coconut, olive, almond, or sesame seed oil.
2. Pour the solution onto your scalp and massage with your fingertips. Move your fingers soothingly all over your scalp.
3. Leave it and relax for an hour.
4. Wash your hair with herbal shampoo to retain the impact of essential oil on your scalp.
5. You can repeat it using a different essential oil before every hair wash.
Word Of Caution
Essential oils are not safe to ingest directly. Take medical advice before using it internally. Even for topical application, do a patch test on your skin before applying it on your scalp.
C. Ayurvedic Herbs
Ayurvedic holistic methods of hair thickening utilize the therapeutic properties of herbs. The comprehensive approach priorly targets the balance of Doshas - the fundamental bio-energies in your body. Ayurveda emphasizes on regulating your lifestyle routine to balance the tridosha constitution.
Each Dosha exhibits different characteristics of your hair:
1. Vata Dosha (dry, frizzy, split ends, hair thinning, dandruff, hair loss)
2. Pitta Dosha (hair loss, hair thinning, balding, premature greying)
3. Kapha Dosha (oily, greasy scalp, dandruff, scalp irritation)
Ayurveda handpicks herbs and customizes various hair care solutions to meet every individual's hair care requirements. Clinical studies prove that the efficacy of herbal extract formulation  in promoting follicle health and stimulating hair growth is higher than minoxidil.
Dr. Zeel Gandhi, Chief Ayurvedic Doctor at Vedix, says, "Unlike the conventional treatments where hair fall returns as soon as the therapy stops, Ayurvedic healing therapies are often permanent solutions."
Amla, Fenugreek seeds, Aloe Vera, Moringa leaves, Curry leaves, Bhringraj, Ashwagandha, Brahmi, Ginseng, Saw Palmetto, Jatamansi, and Nettle are the best herbs to grow hair thicker and longer. Read on to know how to use Ayurvedic herbs to grow hair thicker and longer.
D. Hair Masks
The impact of a herbal hair mask penetrates deeper into your scalp to nourish hair follicles and hydrate hair strands from root to tip. It performs conditioning to maintain your lustrous hair in the long run.
1. Amla-Shikkakai-Fenugreek Hair Mask
A. Take two tablespoons of amla paste. If you use powder, marinate it overnight in a refrigerator.
B. Add one tablespoon of shikakai powder.
C. Add one tablespoon of soaked and ground fenugreek seeds.
D. Squeeze one lemon
E. Use enough curd to mix all the ingredients to form a thick paste.
F. Apply the hair mask like you apply henna.
G. Leave it on for an hour and rinse it off with water.
1. Amla's Vitamin C, antimicrobial and antioxidant properties can help increase the size of your hair follicles.
2. Shikakai is a fruit of hair packed with multivitamins and phytonutrients that can nourish your hair follicles and boost hair growth.
3. Fenugreek is rich in lecithin and nicotine. It can rebuild your hair follicles.
4. Lemon juice is a detoxifying agent that strips away toxic build up in your hair follicles.
Yogurt's lactic acid, protein, and zinc balance your scalp's ecosystem and activate your follicles to regenerate at optimum capacity.
2. Ashwagandha-Brahmi Hair Mask
Ayurvedic herbal powders are easy to use for a hair mask. You can marinate the powders in your refrigerator for two days for the best results.
A. Take one tablespoon of Ashwagandha herbal powder
B. Add one tablespoon of Brahmi herbal powder
C. Use enough milk to bind the ingredients into a smooth paste.
D. Apply the hair mask from root to tip of your hair strands.
E. Leave it on for an hour and rinse off with lukewarm water.
1. Ashwagandha  normalizes cortisol levels to prevent follicle miniaturization and increases antioxidants to stimulate blood circulation in your scalp.
2. Brahmi precisely thickens your hair strands by promoting follicle regeneration.
3. Bhringraj-Neem Hair Mask
A. Take a handful of neem leaves.
B. Add a handful of Bhringraj leaves or powder or oil.
C. Bind the leaves with water to make a thick paste.
D. Apply it all over your scalp, focussing on your hair roots.
E. Leave it on for a couple of hours.
F. Rinse it off with plain water.
1. Neem is the most prevalent hair care ingredient used in herbal hair masks. It promotes thicker and longer hair growth.
2. Bhringraj is an antihypertensive herb that calms your mind and makes you sleep better, regulating hormones.
Synthetic shampoo contains chemical compounds called surfactants. Half of the ingredient is water-soluble, and the other half is not. If your scalp interacts with the chemicals, it forms lather that strips off both necessary and unnecessary materials in your hair roots. Please think twice before using it.
Herbal shampoo contains natural extracts to cleanse your hair and retain the necessary oils for your scalp health. The ingredients are free of hazardous elements and suitable for all hair types. Herbal shampoo infuses natural oils and minerals into your hair follicles to nourish and strengthen your hair roots.
Always use a shampoo in its diluted form to wash your hair. It prevents hair frizz and breakage.
A shampoo is followed by a hair conditioner to condition your hair until the next wash. Avoid chemical-based conditioners that only offer temporary benefits. Instead, use a homemade hair conditioner to treat your hair problems from the roots. Here's how to prepare a hair conditioner easily:
1. Use hydrating oils like coconut oil, olive oil, shea butter, or yogurt.
2. Add a pH balancer like apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.
3. Mix the ingredients with a liquid base like milk or water.
4. You can wet your hair, squeeze out excess water, and apply it to your hair tips.
5. Leave it for 3 to 5 minutes and rinse it off.
6. If your hair is dry, condition your hair after shampooing.
7. If your hair is oily, condition your hair before shampooing.
F. What To Eat
A balanced diet nourishes the digestive fire in your body, regulating cellular metabolism in the hair follicle' stem cells. Blood vessels supply vitamins to your hair follicles. Biotin helps cells convert food to energy. Keratin builds a hair strand. Therefore feed your hair through a nutritious diet to grow hair thicker and stronger.
Foods that help to thicken your hair are salmon fish, eggs, peanuts, peanut butter, spinach, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, almonds, sweet potatoes, fenugreek seeds, amla, and curry leaves.
The Dos And Don'ts For Thick Hair
What To Do
1. Use the right shampoo and conditioner.
2. Hydrate your hair by drinking lots of water.
3. Take a herbal hair supplement.
4. Regularize your sleep patterns to reduce stress.
5. Massage your scalp before every hair wash.
6. Rinse with cold water.
7. Prefer natural hair drying rather than using a hairdryer.
8. Protect your hair from pollution and hard water.
What To Avoid
2. Avoid using harsh chemicals. For instance, too many chemicals are used for permanent hair rebonding.
3. Avoid over-styling, and don't apply heat while styling.
4. Don't apply oil on your greasy hair.
5. Don't rub your hair with a towel. Just pat dry it.
6. Never remove tangles from your wet hair. Your hair is weak and fragile when it is wet. It quickly falls out of your hair follicles.
7. Don't wear your hair up too tightly. For instance, a ponytail makes your hair thinner at your temples.
8. Quit smoking.
How Long Does It Take To Thicken Your Hair?
It just takes a few months of following a healthy hair care routine unless there is an underlying health condition yet to be diagnosed. Please don't be impulsive to opt conventional hair thickening treatments while on the go.
Natural methods of growing thicker hair may not show instant results like bouncy hair in a commercial ad. Herbal hair care formula  results in long-lasting follicle health and fuller thickness of your hair.
The Last Word
It requires time and patience to grow hair thicker and fuller. Don't be tempted to use chemicals on your scalp to achieve quicker results.
Natural hair care products bring out long-lasting results and protect your hair in the long run. Ayurveda can delay the process of follicle miniaturization while regulating hormones to nourish your hair follicles and grow hair thicker.Know Your Dosha Now