Are you constantly longing for thicker and voluminous hair? If you are nodding in agreement, then look no further.
In this article, let's understand how to increase your hair volume by following the most effective natural remedies. Also understand how a balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals can boost your hair thickness.
Our Ayurvedic Doctor Speaks
‘’Many factors such as stressful lifestyle, hormonal imbalance, genetics, improper diet, exposure to pollution, poor hair care routine, using wrong hair products, over styling, etc. can affect your hair health and result in the reduction of your hair volume.’’
-Dr. Zeel Gandhi (Bachelor of Ayurveda, Medicine & Surgery), Chief Ayurvedic Doctor, Vedix
What Is Hair Volume?
Hair volume indicates the thickness and density of your hair. Voluminous hair looks fuller and is an indication of healthy hair growth and minimal hair loss. If you have thin and fine hair that lacks strength, then your hair lacks volume.
‘’Many factors  such as stressful lifestyle, hormonal imbalance, genetics, improper diet, exposure to pollution, poor hair care routine, using wrong hair products, over styling, etc. can affect your hair health and result in the reduction of your hair volume,’’ says Dr. Zeel Gandhi, Chief Ayurvedic Doctor at Vedix.
- The number of hair follicles on your scalp remains the same for your entire life. While the follicle number cannot be increased, some of them go into the dormant phase, leading to hair thinning and loss of volume.
How To Increase Hair Volume Naturally?
1. Massage Your Scalp To Increase Hair Volume
Scalp massage helps in improving blood circulation, which rejuvenates your hair follicles. This, in turn, promotes hair growth and increases hair volume. A clinical study in Japan assessed the role of scalp massage on hair growth in nine volunteers.
For 24 weeks, the scalp massage was given to the volunteers. After completion of the scheduled study, it was observed that they had better hair thickness and hair growth.
Steps to follow for a head massage:
- Pour some lukewarm hair oil into a bowl. You can also place the bowl containing oil in warm water.
- Make equal hair partitions. Using your fingers, apply oil to your scalp and hair. Always remember to work your way from the roots to the tips.
- Apply gentle pressure and massage your scalp for 15 minutes. Massage your head using your fingertips.
- Leave oil on your hair for at least two hours before washing it with herbal shampoo. Wrapping your hair with a hot towel can also help the oil to better reach the roots of your hair.
- You can also leave your hair oiled overnight and wash it the next morning.
2. Essential Oils For Hair Volume
Adding essential oils to your hair massage routine can also help you increase hair volume. These oils can help stimulate hair follicles and also make your hair stronger. For best results, you can try the following essential oils for thick hair volume.
Rosemary oil is effective in controlling hair fall and is thus highly beneficial in boosting your hair volume. The anti-inflammatory agent in the oil, known as Carnosol, aids in balancing your hormones, which increases hair growth.
In a randomized comparative trial conducted in 2015, rosemary oil was found to be a promising alternative to minoxidil 2% for treating androgenetic alopecia.
Linalyl acetate and linalool, both found in lavender, have follicle-deepening and stimulating properties. This essential oil also helps in thickening the thermal layer within your hair roots, which further strengthens the roots and stimulates follicles .
Due to the presence of astringent properties, juniper oil provides a strong defense against hair loss.
This essential oil helps in strengthening your hair roots and promoting hair growth. It also helps in preventing acne within the scalp due to its antiseptic and anti-microbial properties, which block the acne-causing bacteria.
How To Use Essential Oils To Increase Hair Volume?
You should never apply an essential oil directly to your scalp. Instead, you need to add 5-10 drops of any of the above-mentioned essential oils into a cup of carrier oil and then use it. Castor oil is one the most recommended carrier oil to increase your hair volume.
Historically, castor oil has played an important role in hair loss management, but one rarely knows the plethora of hair care benefits it offers.
A powerhouse of vitamin E, minerals, and proteins, castor oil works wonders for your hair. It contains omega 6 and ricinoleic acid, which accelerate blood circulation in your scalp, thus promoting hair growth.
Please consult a doctor if your hair fall persists even after following the above home remedies.
3. Yoga & Stress Reduction
A stressful lifestyle and work pressure can also lead to thinning hair and hair fall. Practicing yoga regularly can help you calm your body and control hair thinning. There are various asanas in yoga that can help improve your hair growth and volume.
Among these, Balayam is a popularly recommended exercise that is easy to do. You can also practice Sirsasana and Pranayam to increase hair volume and avoid hair loss.
Also consider other stress reduction activities like exercise, which can boost the supply of oxygen to your scalp and improve hair health.
4. Herbs For Hair Volume
Bhringraj is a medicinal herb that soothes your scalp and nourishes your hair follicles. It also promotes new hair growth and helps in increasing hair volume. You can either buy bhringraj oil from a nearby store or make it at home.
How To Apply:
- To prepare bhringraj oil at home, heat coconut oil with powdered bhringraj.
- Store it in a glass container for further use.
- Apply the oil directly to your scalp.
- Allow the hair roots to absorb the oil by leaving it on for 30 minutes.
- Later, cleanse it with a herbal shampoo.
Fenugreek or methi is a powerhouse that Ayurveda identified in the early ages and continues to utilize its beauty and health benefits to date. Methi seeds are a rich source of vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A, and folic acid. It also contains minerals like iron, calcium, and potassium.
In a study conducted by the University of Indonesia, a hair tonic containing fenugreek extract was found to significantly promote hair growth activity.
Due to high nicotinic acid and protein content, methi seeds provide a strong defense against dandruff and hair loss while treating scalp issues, hair thinning, baldness, and dryness.
How To Apply:
Soak fenugreek seeds overnight and prepare a paste with these. You can use this paste as a weekly hair mask to increase your hair volume.
Amla is a traditional remedy that is an essential part of the hair care regime in India. Oil infused with amla increases blood circulation in your scalp. It also improves your scalp health by dissolving dirt and grease from follicles and assists in removing dandruff.
A powerhouse of vitamin C, amla protects and minimizes the free radical action which can damage your hair. It restores the optimum pH levels of your scalp, thereby regulating sebum production.
In 2018, Korean researchers found that amla extract promoted the growth of human dermal papilla cells, thus, having a significant hair growth-promoting effect.
How To Apply:
- Heat 2-3 cups of coconut oil and add two spoons of powdered amla into it.
- Continue heating the oil until it turns brown.
- Set it aside to cool down
- Apply the lukewarm oil to your scalp.
Amalaki Hair Mask: A Volume Booster
Amalaki (amla) helps in removing excess heat from your head, protecting your hair luster and color, and preventing excessive hair fall. This hair mask helps you to achieve high-volume hair with regular use.
- 1/3 cup of amalaki powder
- 3 ounces of yogurt or water (for hair conditioning)
How to Apply
- In a small bowl, blend both ingredients until you have a smooth paste. Apply this hair mask with a small brush or by hand.
- Begin at the top of your head and part your hair section by section to apply the paste onto your scalp.
- Next, apply the mix to the length of your hair to fully cover your head.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap to prevent it from drying out and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair and scalp with lukewarm water.
‘’Amla is a tridosha hara herb that can help you balance all three doshas on your scalp. Ayurveda believes that amalaki can provide long-standing immunity to the scalp against pollutants, heat, and other irritants,’’ says Dr. Zeel.
Besides external usage, you can also take 2-3 spoons of amla juice internally once or twice a week. This boosts the detoxification in your body, which in turn controls hair fall.
Triphala churna  has active compounds that repair hair loss and increase hair volume. One of its components, haritaki, has antifungal and antibacterial properties that prevent various types of fungal activity and infections on your scalp. The powdered form of triphala is renowned as an anti-dandruff agent.
How To Apply:
There are several ways to apply this amazing herb. You can either include it in your diet or apply a blend of coconut oil with triphala powder to your scalp.
Remember that your diet plays an important role in maintaining your hair health. If you observe less hair volume, it can be because of underlying conditions like poor digestion and liver-related ailments. Triphala helps both by detoxifying your digestive system.
This wonderful Ayurvedic herb is popularly known to clear the mind and lower stress levels. Also, the herb is known to prevent hair loss by healing the dry scalp. It also treats a wide variety of hair issues like split ends, itchiness, and dandruff.
How To Apply:
You can massage your scalp twice or thrice a week with brahmi oil to promote healthy hair growth.
When using any Ayurvedic herb, make sure that the herb helps to pacify the specific doshas that are aggravated in your body. The herbs you use should bring balance to your elevated Ayurvedic doshas.
5. Balanced Diet For Hair Volume
Keratin is the building block of your hair. Therefore, protein is the primary nutrient required for hair growth.
Several other secondary nutrients such as antioxidants, biotin, folic acid, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin A, vitamin D, selenium, niacin, iron, zinc, and other fatty acids are also required for hair health and growth .
While you can take supplements of these nutrients for better hair volume, including these in your diet is highly recommended.
Here is a list of foods you can include in your daily routine:
Fish, poultry, and eggs are rich sources of protein.
- Green leafy vegetables such as rapini, mustard greens, swiss chard, kale, and spinach help you restore your iron levels.
- Curry leaves, predominant in Indian kitchens, are a storehouse of vitamin E, vitamin C, vitamin B, vitamin A, magnesium, calcium, and iron.
- Citrus fruits such as amla are rich sources of minerals, antioxidants, and vitamin C.
- Nuts such as flax seeds, walnuts, and almonds provide you with fatty acids.
- Whole grains provide you with vitamin B complex, zinc, iron, and biotin.
- Carrots are a powerhouse of vitamin A.
- Yogurt is a rich source of zinc.
Remember that whatever you eat affects your body and its various functions. Always try sticking to a healthy diet because your food habits are reflected in the health of your hair.
6. Hair Spray
Those who seek full-bodied and voluminous hair can also splurge on a good volumizer hair spray. It's always better to prefer herbal hair sprays than chemical-based hair sprays for your hair.
Before any purchase, always read the instructions carefully because the wrong application can leave you with sticky hair. This will further damage your hair.
How To Apply:
- Part your hair in sections and then apply the spray from 10 inches away.
- Always spray the roots and comb your hair gently for getting the perfect, bouncy hair.
Most hair sprays may contain harmful chemicals that can eventually damage your hair if overused. Limit its use to important events.
7. Shampoos To Increase Hair Volume
Using a hair volumizing shampoo can also help. Choose a shampoo that suits your hair type and shampoo your hair accordingly. Also, avoid shampoos that have a high content of sulfates, as these can cause harm to the protein in your hair.
Below is a list of natural and herbal shampoos that you can quickly make in your kitchen with easily available ingredients.
Reetha has been used for centuries in hair care regimes. It is a saponin that cleanses the scalp and keeps your hair healthy and voluminous. You can prepare your shampoo with reetha by following the procedure given below:
- Take a few shikakai pods and reetha.
- Boil half a liter of water in a bowl and add the soapnuts.
- Set aside the concoction overnight.
- Strain the water and use the residue as a herbal shampoo.
Shikakai is a natural cleanser as it effectively removes excess oil from your scalp. If you have dry and frizzy hair, prepare a shampoo by mixing shikakai, hibiscus, amla, and reetha.
C. Aloe Vera
Extract aloe vera gel by peeling the leaves and directly apply this to your scalp. Allow it to dry for a few minutes and rinse your hair. Aloe vera is a soothing and cooling hair cleanser . It helps in managing scalp rashes, itching, and redness.
Besides the above-mentioned herbal shampoos, you can opt for Ayurvedic hair cleansers that boost your hair volume.
8. Hair Cut For Voluminous Hair
There is a wide range of haircuts for thin and dull hair, which help you flaunt full-bodied, bouncy hair.
Strategic hairstyles like shoulder-length blunt cut, angled bob, angled bob with light layers, and thick bangs are just a few of many stylish haircuts that give your hair a voluminous look.
9. Blow Dry Hair For Instant Volume
For any thickness or length of hair, blow drying can quickly add volume and shine. You can also try flipping your hair forward and blow-drying it from the roots to add volume.
But before you begin, use a heat-protecting agent on your hair to prevent any heat damage. Also, remember that regular blow drying can damage your hair .
10. Hair Extensions (Short Term)
Most often, women think about using hair extensions to increase the length of their hair. But those struggling with thin, fine hair can use hair extensions to even add volume to hair. For this, you can search for customized hair extensions, which can add volume to hair temporarily.
Blow dry and hair extensions are not meant to be done regularly as they can cause long-term damage to your hair. Limit their use.
Simple & Effective Tips To Increase Your Hair Volume
1. Avoid anxiety and stress. Both conditions may lead to hair fall and affect your hair volume .
2. Cut down on smoking , alcohol consumption, and other addictions to see a visible difference in your hair health.
3. Remember to sleep for at least 6-8 hours every night.
4. Keep yourself well hydrated.
6. Try to limit the use of chemical-based hair products, curling, straightening, and coloring, which adversely affect your hair in the long term.
7. Always wear a scarf to avoid exposure to dust and direct sunlight, which steals the natural oils in your hair, making it dull and brittle.
8. Remember to trim your hair regularly to prevent split ends.
9. Avoid pulling your hair and tying it tightly as it results in hair loss.
10. Avoid combing your hair frequently and forcefully.
11. Always use a wide-toothed comb for your hair.
12. Never comb and tie your hair when wet as it leads to split ends and hair breakage.
Frequently Asked Questions On How To Increase Hair Volume (FAQs)
1. What Is Normal Hair Volume?
In general, an individual who has 2000-2200 hair strands per square inch of scalp area is considered to have normal hair volume. If you have a lesser number of strands on your scalp, then you have low hair volume.
2. Does Hair Lose Volume With Age?-
As you age, the life cycle of each hair strand shortens. This leads to increased hair fall and finer hair regrowth. Thus, your hair volume declines with age.
In a study conducted in Japan, it was revealed that the reduction of hair volume and bounce with aging is not only caused by a decrease in hair diameter and fewer hair strands per square centimeter of the scalp. It is also caused by certain internal changes that occur in the hair structure.
The Last Word
- Your hair lacks volume when it has a thinner cross-section and a lesser number of strands. This is caused mainly due to poor nourishment and hair loss.
- Genetics, poor diet, stressful lifestyle, hormonal imbalance, etc. are some of the primary factors responsible for hair volume reduction.
- Massaging your scalp and hair regularly using warm Ayurvedic oils and certain essential oils can help boost your hair volume.
- Treatments using herbs such as bringhraj, fenugreek, amla, triphala, brahmi, etc. can prevent hair fall, thus, leading to the increase of your hair volume.
- Nutrients such as protein, vitamins-A, C, D, and E, along with biotin, niacin, folic acid, iron, etc. in your diet are highly essential for voluminous hair growth.
- You must follow a healthy and clean lifestyle with low-stress levels and minimal exposure to harmful environmental conditions to keep your hair voluminous.
1. Concept of Hair Problems and its Treatment in Ayurveda (Feb-2020), Scholars International Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine
2. Hair Growth-Promoting Effects of Lavender Oil in C57BL/6 Mice (Dec-2016), SpringerLink
3. Triphala: A comprehensive ayurvedic review (Aug-2013), International Journal of Research in Ayurveda and Pharmacy
4. The Role of Vitamins and Minerals in Hair Loss: A Review (Dec-2018), Dermatology and Therapy
5. Formulation and Evaluation of Aloe Vera Gel Shampoo (Jul-Sep-2021), International Journal of Pharmaceutics and Drug Analysis
6. In vivo and in vitro evaluation of hair growth potential of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis Linn (Oct-2003), National Library of Medicine
7. Bubble hair – a possible explanation for its distribution (Jan-2002), International Journal of Dermatology
8. HrQoL in hair loss-affected patients with alopecia areata, androgenetic alopecia and telogen effluvium: the role of personality traits and psychosocial anxiety (Nov-2018), Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology & Venereology
9. Association between Smoking and Hair Loss: Another Opportunity for Health Education against Smoking? Karger
Vedix Customised Ayurvedic Hair Care RegimenBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Anti-Hairfall ShampooBuy Now
Vedix Customised Ayurvedic Anti-Hairfall OilBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Hair Regrowth SerumBuy Now
Vedix Vartha Hydrating No-Frizz Hair ConditionerBuy Now
Vedix Men Care Hair Re-Growth SerumBuy Now
Vedix Men Care Hair Fall Control Shampoo for Dry HairBuy Now
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful
How can we make this page better?
What did you like about this page?
Thank you for your feedback on this article.