Is your thinning hair keeping you awake at night? Are you constantly longing for thick and voluminous hair? If you are nodding in agreement, then look no further. It is time to revisit the ancient Ayurvedic secrets.
Read on to know how you can achieve thick, lustrous and healthy hair naturally.
What Is Hair Volume?
If you have thin, fine hair which lacks strength, then your hair lacks volume. Causes like pollution, stress , overuse of chemical hair products, hormonal imbalance can make your hair lifeless and flat, or lead to hair loss and thinning.
Why Your Hair Has No Volume?
As per Ayurveda, your hair is an extension of the bone tissue, similar to your teeth and nails. This makes all these tissues closely connected with each other.
The health of your hair is also linked with your gut and nervous system. Hence, if the health of any one of these tissues is affected, then your hair health and quality is also affected.
Similarly, if you don’t include essential nutrients in your diet, then your hair health will be impacted. Thereby, the Ayurvedic principles and treatments for your complete system play an important role.
Imbalances in your body most often affect the appearance and strength of your hair. These imbalances can be countered with the ancient wisdom of Ayurveda.
The following list of symptoms may help you understand the underlying doshas, which are affecting your hair:
- Kapha leads to thick, heavy and oily hair.
- Pitta causes excessive heat within your hair follicles, which adversely impacts your hair. This leads to premature baldness, greying, and thinning.
- Vata causes your hair to be brittle, frizzy, and dry. Also, it leads to thinning of hair which causes hair loss and split ends.
How To Increase Hair Volume With Ayurveda?
1. Massage Your Scalp For Hair Volume Increase
Scalp massage helps in blood circulation and promotes hair growth. A clinical study  in Japan assessed the role of scalp massage on hair growth on nine volunteers.
For 24 weeks, the scalp massage was given to the volunteers. After the completion of the scheduled study, it was observed that they had better hair thickness and hair growth.
How to do head massage:
- Pour some lukewarm hair oil in a bowl. You can also place the bowl containing oil in warm water.
- Make equal hair partitions. Using your fingers, apply oil on your scalp and hair. Always remember to work your way from the roots to the tips.
- Apply gentle pressure and massage your scalp for 15 minutes. Using your fingertips, massage your head.
- Massaging your scalp rejuvenates your hair follicles by increasing blood circulation. This promotes hair growth and increases hair volume.
- Leave your hair at least for two hours before washing with a herbal shampoo. You can also leave your hair oiled overnight.
2. Essential Oils For Hair Volume
If you are wondering how to increase the volume of hair at your home, then you can try the following essential oils for thick hair volume.
The rosemary oil is effective in controlling hair fall and, thus, highly beneficial for your hair. The anti-inflammatory agent in the oil known as Carnosol aids in balancing your hormones, which increases follicle growth. This overall process helps in promoting hair growth.
Linalyl Acetate and Linalool, both found in Lavender, have follicle deepening and stimulating properties. The essential oil also helps in thickening the thermal layer within your hair roots, which further strengthens the roots and stimulates follicles.
Due to the presence of astringent properties, Juniper oil provides a strong defense against hair loss. This essential oil helps in strengthening your hair roots and promoting hair growth. It also helps in preventing acne within the scalp due to its antiseptic property, which blocks the acne-causing bacteria.
D. Castor Oil
Historically, castor oil has played an important role in hair loss management, but one rarely knows the plethora of hair care benefits it offers. A powerhouse of Vitamin E, minerals and proteins, castor oil works wonder for your hair. It contains Omega 6 and Ricinoleic acid, which accelerate blood circulation in your scalp, thus promoting hair growth.
Please consult a doctor if your hair fall persists even after following the above home remedies.
3. Amalaki Hair Mask: A Volume Booster
Amalaki balances your pitta by removing excess heat from your head, protecting your hair luster and color, and preventing excessive hair fall. This hair mask helps you to achieve high volume hair with regular use.
- 1/3 cup of amalaki powder
- 3 ounces of yogurt or water (for hair conditioning)
How to Apply
- In a small bowl, blend both the ingredients until you have a smooth paste. Apply this hair mask with a small brush or by hand.
- Begin at the top of your head and part your hair section by section to apply the paste onto your scalp.
- Next, apply the mix to the length of your hair to fully cover your head.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap to prevent drying out and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair and scalp with lukewarm water.
4. Herbs For Hair Volume
Bhringraj is a medicinal herb that soothes your scalp and nourishes your hair follicles. It also promotes the growth of new hair follicles and helps in increasing hair volume. You can either buy bhringraj oil from a nearby store or make it at home.
Many prefer to make herbal oil at home. Traditionally, the leaves are dried, ground to form a powder and then heated with oil. A quicker alternative is to heat coconut oil with powdered bhringraj and store it for further use.
You can apply it directly onto your scalp. Allow the hair roots to absorb the oil by leaving for 30 minutes and cleanse it with a herbal shampoo.
Fenugreek or methi is a powerhouse that Ayurveda identified in the early ages and continues to utilize its beauty and health benefits to date. Methi seeds are a rich source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin A, and folic acid. It also contains minerals like iron, calcium, and potassium.
Due to high nicotinic acid and protein content, methi seeds provide a strong defense against dandruff and hair loss and treat scalp issues hair thinning, baldness and dryness.
Amla  is a traditional remedy that is an essential part of the hair care regime in India. Oil infused with amla increases blood circulation in your scalp. It also improves your scalp health by dissolving dirt and grease from follicles as well as removing dandruff.
A storehouse of Vitamin C, amla protects and minimizes the free radical action which can damage your hair. It also restores the optimum pH levels of your scalp, boosting the production of essential oils.
You can heat coconut oil and add two spoons of powdered amla. Continue heating the oil till it turns brown in color. Set it aside to cool down and apply the lukewarm oil.
Triphalachurna has active compounds that repair hair loss and increase hair volume. One of the active compounds, Haritaki, has antifungal and antibacterial properties that prevent various types of fungal activity and infections.
The powdered form is renowned as an anti-dandruff agent. There are several ways to apply this amazing herb. You can either include it in your diet or apply a blend of coconut oil with Triphala  powder.
Remember that your diet plays an important role in maintaining your hair health. If you observe less hair volume, it can be because of underlying conditions like poor digestion and liver condition. Triphala helps both by detoxifying your digestive system.
This wonderful Ayurvedic herb is popularly known to clear the mind and lower stress levels. However, the herb is also known to prevent hair loss by healing the dry scalp. It also treats a wide variety of hair issues like split ends, itchiness, and dandruff.
Besides the above mentioned herbs, you must also use herbs specific to your dominant doshas for better hair growth.
5. Balanced Diet For Hair Volume
Keratin is the building block of your hair. Therefore, protein is the primary nutrient required for hair growth. Several other secondary nutrients are also needed for healthy hair.
Research has shown that nutrients like antioxidants, proteins, amino acids, biotin, folic acid, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Selenium, Niacin, Iron, Zinc and fatty acids are required for hair health.
Supplements of these nutrients is an alternative for better hair volume, but including these in your diet is the recommended way. Here is a list of foods you can include in your daily routine:
- Fish, poultry, and eggs are rich sources of protein.
- Green leafy vegetables such as rapini, mustard greens, swiss chard, kale, and spinach help you restore your iron levels.
- Curry leaves, predominant in the Indian kitchens, is a storehouse of Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Vitamin B, Vitamin A, magnesium, calcium and iron.
- Citrus fruits and amla are rich sources of minerals, antioxidants, and Vitamin C.
- Nuts such as flax seeds, walnuts, almonds provide you fatty acids.
- Whole grains provide you with Vitamin B complex, zinc, iron, and biotin.
- Carrots are a powerhouse of Vitamin A.
- Yogurt is a rich source of zinc.
Remember that whatever you eat affects your body and its various functions. Always try sticking to a healthy diet because your food habits are reflected in the health of your hair.
6. Hair Spray
For those who seek full-bodied and voluminous hair, you could also splurge on a good volumizer hair spray.
Before any purchase, always read the instruction carefully because the wrong application can leave you with sticky hair. This will further cause damage to your hair.
Also, another thumb rule is to part your hair in sections and then apply the spray from 10 inches away. Always spray the roots and comb your hair gently for getting the perfect, bouncy hair.
Hair sprays may contain many harmful chemicals that can eventually damage your hair if overused. Limit its use to important events.
7. Shampoos To Increase Hair Volume
Below is a list of natural and herbal shampoos that you can quickly make in your kitchen with easily available ingredients.
Reetha has been used for centuries in hair care regimes. It is a saponin that keeps your hair healthy and voluminous. You can prepare your own shampoo with reetha:
- Take a few shikakai pods and reetha.
- Boil half a liter of water in a bowl and add the soapnuts.
- Set aside the concoction overnight.
- Strain the water and use the residual as a herbal shampoo.
Shikakai is a natural cleanser as it effectively removes excess oil from your scalp. If you have dry and frizzy hair, make a mixture of shikakai, hibiscus, amla, and reetha.
C. Aloe Vera
Extract aloe vera  gel by peeling the leaves and directly apply them onto your scalp. Allow it to dry for a few minutes and rinse your hair. Aloe vera is a soothing and cooling hair cleanser. It helps in managing scalp rashes, itching, and redness.
Make a paste of hibiscus by grinding the flowers; you can use it as a natural shampoo for healthy and strong hair.
These Ayurvedic hair cleansers can be used in combination with Ayurvedic shampoos customized according to your dosha for increasing hair volume and growth.
8. Hair Cut For Voluminous Hair
There is a wide range of haircuts for thin and dull hair, which helps you flaunt a full-bodied, bouncy hair. Strategic hairstyles like shoulder length blunt cut, angled bob, angled bob with light layers, and thick bangs are just a few of many stylish haircuts that will allow you to flaunt healthy, voluminous hair.
9. Blow Dry Hair For Instant Volume
For any thickness or length of hair, blow drying can quickly add volume and shine. But before you begin, protect your hair from any heat damage. Also, remember that regular blow drying can damage your hair.
10. Hair Extensions (Short Term)
Most often, when women think about using hair extensions, they think about increasing the length of their hair. But if you are struggling with thin, fine hair and aren’t looking to increase your hair length but only volume, then you can search for customized hair extensions, which can add volume to hair temporarily.
Blow dry and hair extensions are not meant to be done regularly as they can cause long term damage to your hair. Limit their use.
Simple & Effective Tips To Increase Your Hair Volume
1. Avoid anxiety and stress. Both conditions may lead to hair fall and affect your hair volume.
2. You can practice Sirsasana and Pranayam to increase hair volume and avoid hair loss.
3. Cut down on smoking, alcohol consumption, and other addictions to see a visible difference in your hair health.
4. Remember to sleep for at least 6-8 hours every night.
5. Keep yourself well hydrated.
6. Try to limit the use of chemical-based hair products, curling, straightening, and coloring, which adversely affect your hair in the long term.
7. Always wear a scarf to avoid exposure to dust and direct sunlight, which steal the natural oils in your hair, making it dull and brittle.
8. Remember to trim your hair regularly to prevent split ends.
9. Avoid pulling your hair and tying it tightly as it results in hair loss.
10. Avoid combing your hair frequently and forcefully.
11. Always use a wide-toothed comb for your hair.
12. Never comb and tie your hair when it is wet as it leads to split ends and hair breakage.
The Last Word
Remember that along with these Ayurvedic treatments and remedies for increasing hair volume, your food habits and diet play an important role in determining the quantity and quality of your hair.
You must follow a healthy and clean lifestyle with low-stress levels and exposure to harmful environmental conditions.Know Your Dosha Now
Vedix Customised Ayurvedic Hair Care RegimenBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Anti-Hairfall ShampooBuy Now
Vedix Customised Ayurvedic Anti-Hairfall OilBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Hair Regrowth SerumBuy Now
Vedix Leave-In Conditioning Hair MistBuy Now
Vedix Herbal Hair ConditionerBuy Now
Vedix Men Care Hair Re-Growth SerumBuy Now
Vedix Men Care Hair Fall Control Shampoo for Dry HairBuy Now
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful
How can we make this page better?
What did you like about this page?
Thank you for your feedback on this article.