A moisturizer can bring immense benefits to your facial skin. But not knowing the correct way of applying it can take a toll on your skin’s health and appearance. Surprised?
In this article, we help you with the dos and don’ts of moisturizing your face, and bring you simple tips to get the most out of your moisturizer.
Our Ayurvedic Doctor Speaks
‘’Healthy skin is lush full of moisture and the right amount of oils to protect the barrier mantle of your skin. The correct moisturizer for your skin should help you achieve this goal, based on your skin need, weather, and geographical location.” Dr. Zeel Gandhi (Bachelor of Ayurveda, Medicine & Surgery), Chief Ayurvedic Doctor, Vedix
- Is It Important To Use A Face Moisturizer?
- Benefits Of Applying Moisturizer On Face
- How To Moisturize The Face?
- Tips To Moisturize Your Face In Summer And Winter
- How Often Should You Moisturize Your Face?
- Is It Better To Moisturize In The Morning Or At Night?
- Ingredients To Look In For An Ayurvedic Moisturizer
Is It Important To Use A Face Moisturizer?
The stratum corneum  (top layer of your skin) is made of dead skin cells. The skin stores water in the layer beneath the stratum corneum. When your skin fails to retain enough water levels in that layer, it results in dryness, itchiness and loss of elasticity. This is where a face moisturizer helps.
A face moisturizer works to seal the water molecules into the skin while absorbing the water content from the surrounding environment. Thus, it makes your face feel smoother and healthier instantly.
A skin cell contains 90% moisture when it starts its life cycle through the epidermis. However, the moisture content gets decreased to 10% by the end of the cell life cycle.
‘’Healthy skin is lush full of moisture and the right amount of oils to protect the barrier mantle of your skin. The correct moisturizer for your skin should help you achieve this goal, based on your skin need, weather, and geographical location,” says Dr. Zeel Gandhi, Chief Ayurvedic Doctor at vedix.
Benefits Of Applying Moisturizer On Face
1. Prevents Dryness
Several environmental, dietary, and lifestyle factors can dry your face irrespective of your skin type. Using a face moisturizer daily conditions your skin and prevents it from becoming dry.
2. Makes Skin Appear Youthful
Moisturizing your skin regularly protects it against premature aging by boosting collagen production. Moisturizers support the skin's ability to repair itself while keeping it youthful and firm.
Studies found that moisturizers help in increasing skin hydration, thus, improving the overall appearance of the skin.
3. Help Fight Acne
When your skin becomes dry, the sebaceous glands enter the emergency mode and start producing sebum excessively. This eventually leads to clogging of pores and acne breakouts. Applying moisturizer keeps the skin sufficiently hydrated so that it need not produce excess sebum.
Researches suggest that most moisturizers contain anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing acne breakouts.
4. Soothes Sensitive Skin
Moisturizers have a soothing action on the skin and relieve it instantly from irritation and itchiness. It protects your skin's lipid barrier thus preventing the damage caused by pollutants, allergens, and other toxins in the environment.
How To Moisturize The Face?
1. How To Moisturize By Using Essential Oils?
A. Jasmine Essential Oil
It controls irritation and dryness in the facial skin while promoting elasticity. Add 2-3 drops of jasmine oil to a spoon of almond oil. Massage it on your face. Place a warm towel on the face for half an hour to let your skin absorb the oil well. This is best for people with dry skin.
B. Lavender Oil + Orange Oil + Chamomile Oil
Mix 3-4 drops of lavender oil, chamomile oil, and orange oil each to 2-3 spoons of almond oil. Apply this mixture as a moisturizer on a clean face twice a day. This recipe is best for people who have sensitive skin.
C. Rose Essential Oil
It can be used for any skin type and has soothing and rejuvenating benefits for the skin. Add 10 drops of rose essential oil to a cup of water. Fill it into a spray bottle and use it as a face mist throughout the day.
D. Geranium Oil
It is best for people with oily skin as it can regulate the sebum production in the skin. Add 1 drop of geranium oil and 2 drops of sandalwood oil to 1 spoon of almond oil. Apply the oil to your face and neck twice a day. You can add 2-3 drops of tea tree oil to the mixture if you have acne.
2. How To Moisturize With Ayurvedic Ingredients?
Ayurveda categorizes skin types based on the dominant doshas. People with dominant Vata dosha have drier skin, Pitta dosha have sensitive or acne-prone skin and Kapha dosha have oily skin. Now, let's find some of the Ayurvedic moisturizing tips for each skin type.
A. For Vata
Mix rose water and ghee in equal amounts. Add 1 spoon of honey to the mixture. Store this mixture in a tight glass container. Apply it to your face and neck at least once a day.
B. For Pitta
Add a spoon of aloe vera gel and 2 spoons of sunflower or coconut oil to a spoon of licorice tea. Apply it as a moisturizer during the daytime.
During the night, mix aloe vera gel and ghee in equal parts. Massage the mixture to your face and neck regions.
C. For Kapha
Add a spoon of almond oil to a spoon of mustard oil. You can add a few drops of your favorite essential oil to the mixture if you do not prefer the smell of mustard oil. Apply this oil mixture as a moisturizer to your face and neck twice a day.
3. How To Moisturize Naturally?
Honey is a humectant that can be used by people of any skin type. It not only moisturizes your skin tremendously but also helps your skin heal faster by controlling inflammation.
Apply raw honey directly to your face and massage it for a few minutes. After 15 minutes, wash it off thoroughly using a mild cleanser.
B. Shea Butter
Shea butter is one of the extraordinary natural moisturizing options for people with dry skin. It is an emollient that is rich in triglycerides and prevents moisture loss from your skin.
Apply a little amount of shea butter to your damp face and massage it gently for a few minutes.
C. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera  is good for any skin type. It is loaded with essential vitamins and antioxidants that help your skin regain its lost moisture.
Directly, apply the raw aloe gel extracted from the plant to your face and neck. Massage your face and neck for a few minutes and just leave it on.
If you have sensitive skin, oats can be the best natural option as a moisturizer. It has calming and anti-inflammatory properties that help to nourish and relax sensitive skin.
Soak a cup of colloidal oats in water for an hour. Grind the soaked oats into a fine paste and apply it to your face and neck. Leave it for half an hour and rinse it off.
Cucumber  can be the best natural moisturizer for people with oily skin. It hydrates, rejuvenates the tired skin, and soothes inflammation.
Grind a few small pieces of cucumber into a fine pulp. Add a spoon of honey to it. Apply the mixture to the face and neck. Massage your face gently for a few minutes. Leave it on your face for half an hour before rinsing it off.
4. How To Moisturize Face Overnight?
A. For Dry Skin
- Use a non-foaming, sulfate-free, gentle cleanser to remove the makeup and dirt from your face before moisturizing.
- Pat your face dry gently with a clean cotton towel.
- Apply a few drops of any light face oil of your choice across the face and neck regions. Olive oil  can be one of the best alternatives that you can find in your kitchen.
- Massage your face with the oil for a few minutes and relax.
- After 2-3 minutes, apply a pinch of moisturizer to the face and massage it into the skin completely.
- This procedure is suitable for people who have dry skin. If you experience severe dryness in your, you may use a thick moisturizer containing ingredients such as ceramides or shea butter.
B. For Oily Skin
- Cleanse your face using a non-foaming cleanser and rinse it with cool water.
- Pat dry your skin a little but allow it to be slightly damp.
- Apply a moisturizer containing humectant ingredients such as honey, aloe vera, glycerin, hyaluronic acid , etc. to the face immediately on the damp skin.
- Massage your face gently for a few minutes.
- Now, you can apply a gel-based, deeply moisturizing face mask and leave it overnight.
- This procedure works best for people who have oily skin.
Tips To Moisturize Your Face In Summer And Winter
A. Moisturizing Your Face In Summer
- The sebaceous and sweat glands are more active during the summer months and the skin tends to produce oil and sweat in excess. Hence, it's best to go for light moisturizers that are water or gel-based.
- If you happen to use an oil-based moisturizer, then use it in lesser amounts on the damp face.
- You can also use deep hydrating overnight masks to rejuvenate your skin by boosting the moisture in summer. This also helps in slowing down the aging process in the skin.
B. Moisturizing Your Face In Winter
- Daily moisturizing is even more necessary in winter as the dry and cold weather takes its toll on your skin.
- Generally, it is recommended to use a bit heavier or cream-based moisturizers during winter.
- If you have oily skin with dry patches in a few areas on your face, then apply a light moisturizer all over the face and reapply a heavier cream-based one on the drier spots.
- You need to give special attention to lip care during winter as they tend to crack more in cold weather. Apply lip balm throughout the day.
- You can also apply ghee or butter on the lips and leave it overnight. Also, you must consciously avoid licking your chapped lips as it can lead to more dryness.
How Often Should You Moisturize Your Face?
Dr. Zeel recommends moisturizing your face twice every single day. This prevents your skin from developing extreme oiliness or dryness. Thus, moisturizing daily keeps your skin barrier healthy and pH levels in balance.
Wait for a few minutes after applying the moisturizer. This will let your skin absorb it completely before you apply other skin products or make-up.
Is It Better To Moisturize In The Morning Or At Night?
Dr. Zeel says that your skin needs moisture all through the day. Hence, it is advised to use face moisturizer twice daily- morning and night. This way, the lost moisture in the skin can be replenished and it remains well-hydrated 24x7.
Ingredients To Look In For An Ayurvedic Moisturizer
When you have oily & acne prone skin, always choose a moisturizer with Ayurvedic ingredients such as lodhra, bakuchi, manjishtha, etc. that balances Kapha and Pitta doshas. Similarly, when you have dry & sensitive skin, you can always look for a moisturizer containing herbs such as kumari, usheera, yashtimadhu, etc. to help balance Vata and Pitta doshas.
Please consult your dermatologist before using any formulation mentioned in this article for your skin.
The Last Word
Moisturizing your face is one of the most essential steps in your everyday skincare routine and you should never skip it. Moisturizing your face daily prevents dryness or oiliness in the skin while shielding it against different external damaging factors. However, you need to pick the right kind of moisturizer for your face according to your skin type and apply it religiously to ensure good health.
At Vedix, we analyze your skin type to craft a customized Ayurvedic skin care regimen that addresses your unique skin needs.Know Your Dosha Now
1. Histology, Stratum Corneum (Nov-2019), Statpearls
2. ALOE VERA: A SHORT REVIEW (2008), Indian Journal of Dermatology
3. Phytochemical and therapeutic potential of cucumber (Jan 2013), National library of medicine
4. Anti-Inflammatory and Skin Barrier Repair Effects of Topical Application of Some Plant Oils (Jan-2018), International Journal of molecular sciences
5. Hyaluronic acid: A key molecule in skin aging (Jul-2012), Dermato Endocrinology
Vedix Customised Ayurvedic Skin Care RegimenBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Face CleanserBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Face MoisturizerBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Face SerumBuy Now
Aloka VC Brightening Face SerumBuy Now
Prakhya Acne Rescue Face SerumBuy Now
Niraj HydroMatte Oil Free Face Gel For WomenBuy Now
Anudha Glow Restore Moisturizing Face Lotion For WomenBuy Now
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful
How can we make this page better?
What did you like about this page?
Thank you for your feedback on this article.