Living with PCOS is not easy! Besides the weight and skin issues it brings with it, hair loss caused by PCOS can mess with your peace of mind. That is why we are here to help.
Firstly, please remember that you’re not alone. And breathe easy, because there are natural and holistic ways of reversing PCOS hair loss with the help of Ayurveda. Ayurvedic medicines build resilience in your mind and body to fight against hormonal imbalance. Read on to find out how.
Why Does PCOS Cause Hair Loss?
In women without PCOS, progesterone (female sex hormones) normally binds to the receptors of hair follicles, preventing hair loss. However, in the condition of PCOS, progesterone levels go down and women’s ovaries produce excess androgens (male sex hormones) known as hyperandrogenism.
Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is one of the androgens that binds to your hair follicle receptors in the absence of progesterone. DHT weakens your hair follicles, making it impossible for healthy hair to survive. This is also called Female Pattern Hair Loss (FPHL) or DHT hair loss.
What Does PCOS Hair Loss Look Like?
1. Hair strands are thinner in diameter, with a reduced hair density, volume, and thickness.
2. The onset of hair loss at the vertex and temples of your frontal hairline forms triangular bald patches.
3. Your hair color is dull as it fades into a lighter shade.
4. Hair looks weak, dry, damaged and frizzy.
Symptoms Of PCOS Hair Loss
A hormonal imbalance priorly reflects in your hair and skin. PCOS hair loss symptoms start showing up even before the diagnosis of your irregular menstrual cycle. Then again, you cannot predict the exact reason behind your hair loss as it can even occur without any serious cause.
FPHL and DHT hair loss show the following symptoms:
1. Excessive hair shedding, particularly when you brush your hair to remove tangles.
2. While you wash your hair, you can see clumps of hair strands on your palms that come out of your weaker hair follicles.
3. Your frontal hairline recedes, making the upper part of your forehead more visible.
4. The crown part of your scalp is exposed as the hair is thinner.
5. Dandruff builds up, making your scalp dry and itchy.
Other symptoms of PCOS include:
1. Irregular menstrual cycle
3.Anxiety and depression
5. Insulin resistance
6. Increased risk of diabetes and thyroid
How Do You Fight Hair Loss From PCOS?
You can prevent hair loss while managing your PCOS health condition. Fighting PCOS related hair loss depends on two factors:
1. The quality of methods applied in PCOS treatment.
2. How PCOS treatment affects your body's other functionalities.
Before deliberating the treatments for PCOS related hair loss, let us understand the four causes of PCOS:
1. Disrupted secretion of hormones in your endocrine system.
2. Your body cells fail to convert glucose from your blood into energy. It is called insulin resistance. It triggers your pancreas to produce extra insulin.
3. Rapid and excessive weight gain.
4. Psychological stress.
Therefore, PCOS-related hair loss can be cured if you target hormonal balance, insulin sensitivity, weight loss, and your mental health.
When, AYU - an international Ayurvedic research center, researched the efficacy of Ayurvedic treatment on infertility with PCOS, this is what they found. In the study, they involved patients who differed in physique, temperament, and habits. Among them, 87% of women were successfully cured without hair loss, and 62% of women had conceived within three months. 
Natural Ways To Get Rid Of PCOS Related Hair Loss
1. Ayurvedic Herbs To Treat PCOS
Ayurveda is a discerning approach to wholeness that illuminates the complex subject of hormones. It emphasizes balancing the mind, body and spirit to regulate your endocrine functionality. Also, herbs nourish the digestive fire in your body to regulate cellular metabolism, preventing insulin resistance.
Ayurveda classifies the five fundamental bio-energies in your body into three Doshas - Vata, Pitta, and Kapha. The balance of the tridosha constitution in your body reflects the balance of your entire body mechanism.
Dr. Zeel Gandhi, Chief Ayurvedic Doctor at Vedix, says, “Ayurveda positively deals with PCOS, with very good results. Therapy at the root cause and a holistic approach makes PCOS a success story in Ayurveda.”
A. Aloe Vera
1. Consume aloe vera juice daily first thing in the morning in your empty stomach. Aloe vera helps remove toxins, restores hormonal balance, and improves insulin sensitivity.
2. Aloe vera restores the status of ovarian steroidogenic activity.
3. Aloe vera decreases 'bad cholesterol' levels in your body.
4. On topical application, aloe vera helps heal and soothe your damaged hair. When ingested, it fights PCOS hair loss from within your body.
1. Add Cinnamon to your green tea, black tea, or milk. Avoid intake of sugar for better results. Cinnamon supports ovulation and boosts fertility.
2. Sprinkle cinnamon powder in your curries, smoothies, desserts, and shakes. You can also use it in refreshing drinks and fruit salads. It acts as an immunity booster.
3. Traditionally, cinnamon sticks were chewed after meals. It helps to regulate your metabolism, blood sugar and reduce insulin resistance.
4. Add a 1/2 inch of cinnamon stick to 1 glass of hot water. Add one spoon of honey and squeeze a half lemon into it. It helps you lose weight.
5. It's beneficial to add a few drops of cinnamon oil into your food. Also, apply cinnamon oil to your scalp. It exfoliates your scalp with its tingling sensation that can circulate blood to your hair follicles to stimulate healthy hair growth. 
C. Fenugreek Seeds
1. Fenugreek improves glucose tolerance in your body. It removes the accumulation of LDL cholesterol and helps to control excess weight gain.
2. Fenugreek's high protein and nicotine fights against your hair fall, dryness, thinning, and dandruff. It is high in lecithin content that hydrates your hair strands and strengthens your hair roots.
3. You can apply methi paste as a hair pack. 
4. Soak fenugreek seeds overnight and consume it thrice a day.
5. Eat one spoon of methi seeds on your empty stomach in the morning, and five minutes before lunch and dinner.
6. Drink the water in which you have soaked the fenugreek seeds, first thing in the morning.
7. You can cook methi leaves and add it to your food as well.
1. Amalaki or amla is the richest in Vitamin C, making it a prominent immunity booster. You can eat a whole amla as it is or drink amla juice regularly to uplift your immune system.
2. Amalaki controls your blood sugar levels and prevents insulin resistance in your body.
3. Amla's cleansing properties flush out toxins from your body and aid in weight loss. It also boosts your fertility rate.
4. Amla is a detoxifying agent that helps separate DHT from your hair follicle receptors. It unblocks your hair follicles by removing the accumulated androgens.
5. Amla is rich in carotene, iron, and antioxidants that prevent bald patches and adds significant volume to your hair.
1. Shatavari is a significant Ayurvedic medicinal herb. It is available in the form of powder, liquid, and tablet supplements. The usual dosage prescribed by a doctor is 500mg.
2. Shatavari maintains the levels of LH and FSH hormones. It also balances oestrogen and progesterone hormones, which supports your hair growth and prevents hair loss.
3. It limits the formation of new cysts. Also, Shatavari dissolves existing cysts if it is used in combination with other medicinal herbs like Kanchnaar.
4. Shatavari stimulates follicular growth and development. It also regulates and maintains the duration of the menstrual cycle.
5. It enhances ovarian and uterine health. 
Word Of Caution:
Don’t self-medicate herbal supplements. Take the advice of an Ayurvedic practitioner.
2. Herbal Shampoo
Shampoos made of synthetic substances give instant results symptomatically, but damage your hair in the long run. Ayurvedic hair care products are prepared from natural plant and flower extracts, aiming to solve specific hair concerns. The formulations are holistically created and clinically proven.
PCOS or any other underlying health condition alters the balance of your Ayurvedic Doshas. Your hair care solution must correlate with the characteristics of your elevated Doshas. Therefore know your hair type and Ayurvedic Doshas to choose a customized herbal shampoo that rules out the root cause of your hair issues.
Don’t brush wet hair to remove tangles. Wet hair strands can easily fall out of your hair follicles.
3. Essential Oils
Unlike allopathic medicines, therapeutic essential oils accomplish tasks without unreasonable side effects. An Ayurvedic practitioner must prescribe the dosage of exact oil that suits your specific health issue. 
Methods Of Using Essential Oils To Prevent PCOS Hair Loss:
Ayurvedic Aromatherapy restores psychological and physical well-being. It is offered as a form of alternative medicine instead of conventional treatments. Aromatherapists utilize highly concentrated blends of aromatic plants.
When inhaled, the scent molecules in essential oils travel directly through your nerves and synaptic junctions to impact your brain's memory and emotional stimuli, including the endocrine gland.
Aromatherapy protects your Prana (vital force), nourishes Agni (digestive fire) and builds resilience to diseases. It has a subtle but powerful influence on your mind and body. It can also balance the elevated Ayurvedic doshas in your body.
Lavender, Sandalwood, Nutmeg, and Patchouli oils reduce the ill-effects of stress, such as anxiety and depression. You can use an aroma diffuser or humidifier to inhale the aromatic medicine at your home.
B. Scalp Massage
Massaging your scalp with essential oil is a well-known therapy for relaxing your stress-related issues. It also strengthens your hair roots and adds elasticity to your hair strands.
Mix 5 drops of your favorite essential oil with a carrier oil like coconut or olive oil. Massage your scalp with your fingertips to deeply nourish your hair follicles and improve blood circulation to your scalp.
Massage your scalp once in a week and one hour before head bath. Leave it overnight for the best results. Wash your hair with a herbal shampoo for retaining the impact of essential oil on your scalp.
How To Intake Essential Oil?
Here the first point to be noted is that an essential oil must be taken in a diluted form. Most of the essential oils can be used only for aromatic purposes and topical applications. Only a few essential oils are safe to have with your food, if you use them properly.
Lavender, Peppermint, Cinnamon, Thyme, Ginger, Garlic, Rosemary, Oregano, Basil, Lime are essential oils that can be added in your cooking by diluting a few drops in a carrier oil like olive, coconut or almond.
More than 150 pounds of lavender flowers are distilled for producing just one pound of concentrated lavender oil.
4. Home Remedies For PCOS Hair Loss
A healthy diet and yoga are the two best treatments for PCOS hair loss that you can do at home. When your body is susceptible to imbalance, it requires unique lifestyle habits to sustain normal physiological functions.
Regulation of diet is crucial as your whole body is a product of what you eat. Be aware of the food content you are eating and how it helps you fight PCOS and hair loss.
What Not To Eat
1. Limit yourself on having milk and milk products. However, buttermilk is an exception.
2. Forget about junk food. Say goodbye to fast-food restaurants and bakeries. Avoid foods that contain saturated fats.
3. Give up eating red meat, especially deep-fried meat. You can consume boiled fish. Avoid inflammatory food.
4. Restrict the consumption of sugar by replacing it with honey, jaggery, or dates. Sugar-based foods can worsen insulin resistance.
Best Foods To Consume
1. Eat food rich in fiber content and poor in glycemic index like green leafy vegetables.
2. Intake natural and unprocessed foods like flax seeds, almonds, walnuts, legumes, sprouts, and whole grains.
3. You can consume wheat or rice but in moderate quantities.
4. Add herbs like turmeric, ginger, garlic, cinnamon, and fenugreek to your diet.
5. Drink herbal teas like green tea and spearmint tea.
Yoga helps remove stress and calms your mind with pranayama. Also, yoga activates the stem cells in your hair bulge to support healthy hair growth. The daily practice of Surya Namaskar reduces insulin resistance, lowers 'bad cholesterol' levels, balances hormones, and supports ovulation.
1. Yoga Poses To Alleviate PCOS
Titli asana, Supta Baddha Konasana, Bharadvajasana, Chakki, Chalanasana, Shavasana, Padma Sadhana, Surya Namaskara. 
2. Yoga Poses To Reduce Hair Fall
Adho Mukha Svanasana- Downward Dog Pose, Uttanasana- Standing Forward Pose, Pawanmuktasana- Wind relieving Pose, Sarvangasana- Shoulder Stand, Vajrasana- Diamond Pose. 
Homeopathy works to correct hormonal imbalance, regularize ovulation, and restore menstrual normalcy. It effectively addresses the root cause of PCOS and treats the associated side effects like hair loss. Homeopathy medicine should be used only under the guidance of a homeopath for the appropriate dosage and duration of the treatment.
6. Medical Treatments
Medical treatments for PCOS provide two common medications. However, they cannot prolong your natural health for a long period.
1. Anti-androgen medicines
They control the secretion of excess androgens and help reduce scalp hair fall. These medicines can cause problems later in your pregnancy.
Metformin is used for treating insulin resistance by lowering blood sugar levels. Metformin also decreases the production of excess androgens and restarts ovulation. It can also reduce excess body mass and lowers your bad cholesterol level. It has less impact on your hair issues.
Is It Possible To Reverse PCOS Hair Loss?
Yes, it is possible to reverse PCOS hair loss if you follow an integrative approach for curing PCOS. You can see a positive transformation in your hair as soon as a treatment limits the production of male sex hormones and increases female sex hormones in your body.
You can also get back your hair volume if you choose a holistic treatment that focuses on your entire body, not just the specific part that has a disease. Synthetic medicines may not reflect hair loss immediately, but gradually damage your hair follicles.
Ayurvedic herbs boost your resistive power to fight PCOS and hair loss naturally. The holistic approach can reverse your hair loss and provide a long-lasting impact to maintain your naturally beautiful hair.
How To Prevent PCOS Hair Loss?
You can prevent PCOS hair loss by diagnosing PCOS in its initial stage. Go for a medical checkup as soon as you recognize the symptoms of PCOS. As soon as you are diagnosed with PCOS, begin to change your lifestyle and daily routine before it increases your hair loss.
Focus on your hormonal balance and hair care simultaneously. Have a nutritious diet and adapt physical exercise as your habit. Prevent PCOS hair loss naturally with herbal hair care products and Ayurvedic home remedies.
How Long Does PCOS Hair Loss Last?
Hair loss due to PCOS lasts as long as androgens block your hair follicles, and DHT binds your hair follicle receptors. The treatment takes a few weeks to clear the excess androgens and DHT, and increase oestrogen and progesterone levels.
The return of the hair-friendly hormones replenish your hair follicles. Until then, you can control excess hair loss with herbal treatments and essential oils.
The Last Word
Oestrogen and progesterone are hair-friendly hormones. In the PCOS situation, your ovaries lower the production of these hormones and produce excess male hormones, causing hair loss.
You need to make certain changes to your lifestyle to balance your hormones and rejuvenate hair growth. If you add Ayurvedic herbs to your diet and smell soothing aromatic oils, you can get back your thick and lustrous hair, besides managing your PCOS condition.Know Your Dosha Now