Intro: How long will you fight the horrors of your hair? You have tried every possible way - from eating the right nutrients to making certain lifestyle changes. But you can still find hair strands on the dressing table, on your bathroom, on the floor, everywhere. Do not fret. This blog is here to help you retain those golden locks.
Yoga can help you regain your healthy strong hair back. Yes, you heard it right. Performing yoga every day will improve your hair growth and also keep your overall health in check.
Benefits of yoga asanas, pranayamas and hand gestures
Increase your blood circulation to the scalp
Reduce stress and anxiety levels
When practiced regularly these techniques can promote hair growth. Let’s start knowing them one by one.
1) Balayam Yoga (Rubbing Nails)
The process of rubbing your nails against each other is known as Balayam yoga. It is one of the simplest and easiest ways to reduce hair fall.
Practicing it daily for 5-10 minutes daily can reduce your hair problems.
How to do Balayam Yoga
- This asana can be done by either sitting or standing.
- Curl the fingers of both your hands inwards towards your palm.
- Bring your nails in contact with each other and start rubbing them. vigorously. Ensure leaving the thumbnails out.
- Keep rubbing it continuously for 5-10 minutes at a stretch.
When you rub your fingernails, there is a nerve ending below it that stimulates your brain to send a signal to revive dead and damaged hair follicles.
Balayam Yoga also helps stimulate the blood flow to your scalp reducing hair fall issues such as dandruff and premature greying.
2) Uttanasana Yoga (Standing Forward Bend)
Known as Standing Forward Bend in English, Uttanasana Yoga heals and rejuvenates your body.
In this asana, your head receives blood circulation as your head is below the heart. This posture provides oxygen to your hair cells and energizes them.
How to do Uttanasana
Stand straight. Keep your legs close to one another touching your knees, heels, feet and toes.
- Inhale deeply.
- Now while exhaling, lift up your hands and bend forward, until your fingers and then your hands touch the floor.
- If possible, you can also bring your hands behind your heels. Hold on this position with some normal breathing.
- When you want to come out of this pose, inhale deeply and stand back straight.
Uttanasana stretches your entire muscles and connective tissues. Hence it is very important to warm up before doing this asana.
Benefits Of Uttanasana
- As shown in the picture, this asana gives your back, calves and hip a good stretch.
- It relaxes your mind and relieves stress, one of the major causes for hair fall.
- The bend improves your digestive system by giving it a good message. A good digestive system removes all toxins from your body. This results in healthy growth of hair follicles.
- Hair fall is also caused by hormonal imbalance. Practicing Uttanasana regularly can reduce menstrual and menopausal problems in women.
Avoid practicing this asana if you are suffering from a back injury, hamstring tear, Sciatica or glaucoma
3) Adho Mukha Svanasana
Known Downward Dog pose in Englisjh, this, like other asanas, increases the blood flow to the scalp which helps in the nourishment of the hair roots.
Thus reducing hair fall and leaving you with healthy and strong hair.
How to do Adho Mukha Svanasana
- Stand on four limbs.
- Exhale and gently lift your hips and straighten your elbows and knees. Ensure your body forms an inverted ‘V’.
- Your hands should be in line with your shoulders, and your feet in line with your hips.
- Make sure that your toes point outwards. Now, press your hands into the ground and lengthen your neck.
- Your ears should touch your inner arms, and you should turn to your navel. Hold for a few seconds, and then, bend your knees and return to the table position.
Click this to see how Adho Mukha Svanasana is done
Benefits of Adho Mukha Svanasana
- In Adho Mukha Svanasana, hips are lifted and the head is dropped below the heart. The posture improves blood circulation throughout the body, including the scalp.
- Scalp blood circulation results in oxygen to the hair follicles thus making it stronger.
- This asana helps stretch and strengthen the abdominal muscles.
- When your abdominal muscles are stretched, it compresses the digestive system organs, including your liver and kidneys, therefore keeping it in a good working condition.
- A good digestive system helps in supplying more nutrients to the hair, thereby promoting a healthy growth of hair follicles.
- In Adho Mukha Svanasana your neck and cervical spine is stretched out. This action calms your mind, thus reducing anxiety and stress.
4) Vajrasana Asana (Diamond Pose)
Also known as Diamond Pose, this is the only asanas that is practised after meals. It helps in digestion, keeps the spine straight and relaxes the back.
How to do Vajrasana asana:
- Sit on the floor straight. Stretch your legs and keep your spine erect. Your heels should be together.
- Place your hands by your side palms facing the ground.
- Fold both your legs, keeping them under your thighs; first the left leg and then the right.
- Place your hands on your upper thighs.
- Sit in a relaxed position and breathe in and out deeply.
- Return back to your original posture of sitting with stretched legs.
Check this to see how Vajrasana asana is done
Benefits of Vajrasana
- Improper digestion can lead to constipation and less supply of nutrients to the hair cells, inturn causing breakage and damage. With regular practise, Vajrasana can improve digestion.
- You can prevent ulcers and acidity with the help of Vajrasana.
- Vajrasana reduces stress which is one of the major triggers for hair loss.
The Vajrasana posture might look easy but in reality is quite challenging. While practising you need to overcome to pain in your legs and the unrest in your mind.
Sitting in the diamond pose reduces the blood flow in your legs. The blood flow is then regulated to your digestive system, thus increasing its efficiency.
5) Uttanpadasana (Raised Feet Pose)
This asana is also called Raised Leg pose. It is a very good for those suffering from back pain and stomach disorder. You can practice this asana by raising one leg at a time also.
How to do Uttanpadasana:
- Lie on the ground with arms by your side and palms facing the floor.
- Stretch your body and slowly raise your legs at a 45-60 degree angle from the ground.
- Keep your legs raised for a minute or even more if you can hold it.
Check this to see how Uttanpadasana is done
Benefits of Uttanpadasana
- Uttanpadasana strengthens the abdominal muscles.
- As your head rests on the ground, there is blood circulation to the scalp which is beneficial for weak hair follicles.
- As fresh oxygen is rushed to the hair cells, it provides nourishment which helps in reducing brittleness and dryness.
6) Sasangasana (Rabbit Pose)
Popularly known as the Rabbit Pose, this is an important yoga asanas that is beneficial for the scalp and back. It should be practised in the morning and the evening times.
It stimulates the muscles in the back, especially the lower back.
How to Sasangasana Yoga
- Sit with your knees like a child.
- Put both your hands at the back and hold your heels.
- Place the crown of your head on the floor and slowly inhale and lift up your hips.
- Hold this position until five breaths.
- Exhale as you slowly unroll yourself back to child pose.
- Relax and repeat again.
Click this to see how Sasangasana Yoga is done
Benefits of Sasangasana
- Sasangasana is a forward bend pose. It stretches and strengthens the neck and the spine muscles thus relieving the body from stress and tension.
- Improves blood circulation throughout the body.
- Helps in the better functioning of the digestive system.
- Practicing Sasangasana daily will help you to sleep better. A good sleep is essential for healthy hair growth.
- Helps in reducing hormonal imbalance in the body.
Incorporating these yoga postures in your daily life will help in fighting your hair problems to a great extent.
Your hair roots will become stronger, thicker and healthier.
It will help you overcome your stress, anxiety and digestion related issues that are indirectly responsible for baldness and hair loss.
A Good Hair Care Regimen
Though one should practise yoga everyday, it can become a tough task due to your hectic lifestyle.
Another way to help grow healthy bouncy hair is to incorporate a hair care regimen after knowing your hair type. Knowing your hair type can help you find out your hair’s unique needs and ways to tackle it.
You can develop a hair care regimen that is customised just for your hair. This also saves a lot of time.
Vedix Hair Care Regimen
Welcome to Vedix Customised Hair Care Regimen, India’s first Ayurvedic hair care brand where products are customised according to your hair’s unique needs.
With Vedix, you can know your hair’s Ayurvedic profile. Just answer a few questions by taking the Vedix Dosha Assessment Questionnaire and get your hair analysis. This information can determine your hair’s exact composition and its unique needs.
In this way, Vedix helps you design your very own customised hair care regimen.
Vedix Customized Hair Care Regimen is highly recommended for the following reasons:
- Vedix takes a holistic approach. It attacks your hair concerns from all corners and makes sure your hair is fully protected.
- Absence of harmful chemicals like parabens and sulphates
- Infused with modern Ayurveda
- Tailor-made for you
- Cruelty free
Want to get the best out of Vedix hair care regimen? Try Vedix Customised Hair Care Regimen, exclusively crafted for your unique hair needs. Take the Vedix Dosha Assessment Questionnaire today.