When it comes to skin care for men, the popular opinion for generations has been to keep it simple and not think much about it. But times are changing and men are now putting efforts for a healthier and younger looking skin.
"Setting up a healthy dinacharya - daily routine, is the first step to maintaining good skin health," says Dr. Zeel Gandhi, Chief Ayurvedic Doctor at Vedix. In order to help you focus on the right aspects of skin care, here are 13 essential skin care tips that you can add to your skin care routine.
Why Is It Important For Men To Have A Skin Care Routine?
A good skin care routine is important for both men and women. A good routine ensures that your skin stays healthy and problems like acne breakouts and skin infections are kept at bay. However, a routine that is suitable for women may not suit men, due to differences in the characteristics of their skin .
Men’s skin is usually thicker compared to women’s skin. Additionally, as per the ancient science of Ayurveda, the ‘Pitta Dosha’ is in general more aggravated and imbalanced in men. This in turn leads to high sebum production, along with frequent breakouts and large, visible open pores.
Men’s face care product choices and skin care routine therefore needs to be in sync with common pitta problems like acne. Men often choose harsh oil control men’s cosmetics, like face washes and soaps, believing that they remove oil better. However, these often aggravate their doshas.
How To Determine Skin Type For Men?
According to Ayurveda, skin of both men and women falls under 3 main categories. Based on the imbalance of tridoshas in your body - Kapha, Vata, Pitta - your skin prakriti or type is determined:
1. Vata Skin - Vata skin type is generally related to the air element, resulting in dry and rough skin.
2. Pitta Skin - Most men have aggravated Pitta dosha (fire element) in the skin, which causes them to have acne problems. Pitta prakriti skin can be very sensitive to spicy food.
3. Kapha Skin - Kapha prakriti skin is related to elements of water and earth, this skin type is more heavy. Although this skin type quickly adapts to changes, in the process of adaptation it secretes a lot of oil and sebum.
4. Combination Skin - Most of the times, men’s skin portrays a combination of two or more doshas. Either they have Vatta-Pitta imbalance resulting in dry and sensitive skin or a Kapha-Pitta imbalance, resulting in oily and sensitive skin, or a Vata-Kapha imbalance which results in a bit of both issues.
Men can determine their skin type in the following way.
- Wash your face with any men’s face care product and wait for 20-30 minutes and check. If the face is oily all over, then it is Pitta skin. If skin is oily only on the nose and forehead area then it is a combination skin and if the skin remains dry, it is a Vata skin.
- You can also perform the above-mentioned test by skipping the washing part and using a blotting paper and dabbing your skin to check the oil content. It is also advisable to contact a skin specialist or dermatologist, to know more about your skin in detail.
Vedix Tip: Avoid an intense shaving regimen; it can cause razor burn, making the skin overly sensitive and sore.
Easy Skin Care Tips For Men
A proper cleansing routine is extremely important. Cleanse skin with cool water and use a completely natural, sulphate free, detergent free, gentle cleansing face wash. Choose a cleanser with herbal elements like Kumari, Arishtaka, Daruharidra, Sariva and Palandu. These elements gently cleanse the skin, reduce blemishes, improve skin texture and can result in a glowing skin.
2. Stay Hydrated
Are you drinking 8 glasses of water every day? If not, then now is the time to start this habit.
A hydrated body not only flushes out waste and helps in the functioning of vital organs, but also nourishes your skin. Try to sit down while drinking water, avoid chugging a lot of water at once, store your drinking water in copper vessels and most importantly begin your day with a glass of water.
3. Improve Your Diet
It is essential to follow a healthy diet and eat food that is beneficial for your unique prakriti and skin type.
- Warm and soft foods like berries, bananas, cooked vegetables, oats, brown rice, lean meats, eggs and dairy are good for the skin of men with Vata Prakriti.
- Light, cold, sweet and energizing foods like fruits, non-starchy vegetables, oats and eggs are good for the skin of men with Pitta Prakriti.
- Spicy, acidic and filling foods like whole grains, cheese, unprocessed meat, and hot spices are good for the skin care of men who have Kapha Prakriti.
4. Build A Perfect Skin Care Routine
A proper skin care routine can give you healthy and glowing skin. Keep adding aspects to get a perfect skin care routine :
- If you stay indoors more often, revive your Pitta aggravated skin by spraying some rose water or splashing your face with cool and clean water.
- If you travel outdoors more often, try covering your face irrespective of the weather. Once you are back home, clean your face with natural ayurvedic products.
- At night apply a moisturizer or a skin oil that balances the Pitta dosha.
- Once a week it is recommended to use an herbal or ayurvedic face pack that reduces the oil in the skin, removes tan and results in glowing skin.
5. Exfoliate 2-3 Times A Week
Gentle exfoliation at least once or twice a week is very essential for men’s skin care. This is all the more important, if you have skin issues like pimples. However, try avoiding chemical exfoliation products because they make your skin more dry and tired. Use herbal products that have ingredients like musta, amla and sariba, that helps in de-tanning, adding a natural glow and replenishing men’s skin naturally.
6. Take Care of Your Lips
Lips often get affected the most due to weather change. This is because they have the thinnest and most sensitive layer of skin. Conditions like pollution and dehydration can affect lips. Take extra care of lips by using simple products available in your home. These include honey, sugar, rose petals, milk and turmeric.
Vedix Tip: Mix 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric in 1 teaspoon milk to form a paste. Apply this to your lips and leave it on for a few minutes. Once dried, scrub the paste off gently. Clean your lips with warm water and then apply a hydrating lip balm.
7. Massage Your Face
One of the main benefits of facial massage is its ability to prevent early signs of wrinkles and aging. Massaging is an essential skin care tip for men in winter and also throughout the year. Stimulating the skin through massage may help promote blood circulation and reduce the appearance of acne.
8. Apply Sunscreen
Sunscreen is essential and in fact skin care for men begins with sunscreen. Use a sunscreen with SPF 20 or above depending on how much time you spend outdoors. If unsure, you can always consult your dermatologist. Please check whether your sunscreen has ingredients like natural glycerine, olive oil and nourishing shea butter.
A good moisturizer can make your skin look energized while keeping skin issues at bay. Rather than opting for chemical products, choose moisturizers with herbal components like,
- Yashtimadhu, which prevents the skin against oxidative stress injuries,
- Kumari, which helps keep the skin dewy,
- Usheera, that helps in protecting the skin from free radicals,
- Kamala, for reducing acne marks and pigmentation and
- Bakuchi, for its anti-inflammatory properties.
10. Select The Right Skin Care Products
Choosing the right products for the skin is of extreme importance for men. While various chemical based products may allure you, opt for products with natural ingredients that suit your skin type. This will protect your skin in the long run and keep skin related issues at bay.
11. Get Adequate Sleep
The dark circles that are making you insecure is because of the lack of sleep. Men’s skin care is hampered the most because of their lack of sleep or an improper sleep routine. A proper 8 hours sleep is a must for any skin care routine to show results. Make sure you are getting 8 hours sleep in a stretch.
12. Careful Shaving & Beard Care
If you are facing irritation in your skin every time you shave, then there might be some flaws in your procedure. Men often shave in the wrong direction, or shave too closely, or use low-quality razors. This results in various skin issues like ingrown hair, bacterial growth on your face, irritation and spots on the skin.
Do not shave frequently, always keep your razor blade sanitized and consult your dermatologist to choose a suitable shaving cream for yourself. Always use a skin oil after shaving. Opting for a herbal serum or oil can help. Look for ingredients like,
- Amalaki that softens the skins after shave,
- Sariva that protects from redness,
- Lodhra that adds a healthy skin glow,
- Bakuchi that has anti-inflammatory properties and
- Yashtimadhu that heals cuts and bleeds that might occur during shaving.
13. Use Face Masks
Our generation is fortunate that herbal remedies have made their way back into our lives holding the hands of Ayurveda. While a basic skin care routine can be useful for men, adding a face mask can boost the health of skin further. The right kind of face masks not only add a glow to your face but also treat conditions such as redness, acne or other skin irritations.
Vedix Tip: Rejuvenate dull skin with a homemade face mask using 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, ¼ papaya flesh and a little bit of aloe vera gel.
What Should You Avoid For Healthy Skin?
When it comes to men’s skin care the don’ts are as important as the dos. Avoiding certain foods and lifestyle habits are a part of skincare routine for men as well as women .
- Men with Vata skin type should avoid bitter, dried and cold foods
- Men with Pitta skin type should avoid heavy, spicy and sour foods and
- People with Kapha skin type should avoid heavy or fatty foods.
- Avoid drinking or smoking, as these habits visibly deteriorate your skin over a short period of time despite healthy food habits. 
The Last Word
Irrespective of skin type, men’s skin care, though often neglected, is as important. A basic fuss-free skin care routine, can help men enjoy clear healthy skin, while keeping skin problems at bay. While the 13 essential tips given above are a great place to start, those who have skin related issues or have sensitive skin, can benefit from a consultation with a skin care expert or dermatologist.
Whether you are using ayurvedic products or not, it is essential that you talk to an expert and have the knowledge of the right products and procedures to take care of your skin in the best way.Know Your Dosha Now
Vedix Customised Ayurvedic Skin Care RegimenBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Face CleanserBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Face MoisturizerBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Face SerumBuy Now
Shweth Glow Restore Exfoliating Face ScrubBuy Now
Pradyut Skin Firming & Brightening Face PackBuy Now
Aloka VC Brightening Face SerumBuy Now
Prakhya Acne Rescue Face SerumBuy Now
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful
How can we make this page better?
What did you like about this page?
Thank you for your feedback on this article.