Are you tired of your dull skin tone and its rough texture? Then it’s high time you consider exfoliating your skin.
Exfoliation, if done the right way, can restore your skin’s lost radiance and reveal a healthier version of it. Wondering how to do that?
Here we tell you how to do exfoliation based on your skin type to achieve maximum benefits from it.
What Does Exfoliation Of Skin Mean?
Your skin cells shed off naturally after a 30 days life cycle and new skin cells are produced to replace them . Sometimes, these old dead skin cells do not shed off completely and form as flaky dry patches, which clogs the skin pores. Exfoliation involves removal of such old dead skin buildup from the outermost surface and pores of your skin. This can be done by either chemical or physical (mechanical) means.
On average, around 90% of the dust in your home is formed by dead skin cells that shed from your body.
Benefits Of Skin Exfoliation
- Exfoliation unclogs your skin pores and improves its absorption capacity. Thus, your skincare products can penetrate well into your skin tissues and work well.
- It gives your skin a brighter tone.
- It prevents fine lines and wrinkles by boosting the production of collagen in your skin .
- It controls the formation of acne and breakouts by preventing the clogging of your skin pores.
Chemical Vs Physical Exfoliation: Which Is Better?
Suitable Type Of Skin
Ingredients To Avoid
While both chemical and physical exfoliation works great when done with the right ingredients, you need to choose your exfoliation method by considering the sensitivity of your skin.
Dr. Zeel Gandhi, Chief Ayurvedic Doctor at Vedix, recommends chemical exfoliation when you have sensitive skin type that gets easily irritated and injured while scrubbing. Physical exfoliation with scrubs made of fine particle ingredients can be a good choice for any other skin type.
How To Exfoliate Your Skin Based On Your Skin Type?
1. Ayurvedic Exfoliation
A. Ayurvedic Exfoliation For Dry Skin
As per Ayurveda, Vata dosha dominates in people with dry skin. Hence, the ingredients used in ubtan or body scrub should be Vata pacifying herbs.
- Put 7 raw almonds, 7-10 tulsi (basil) leaves, 2 spoons of raw sesame oil, and 1/4 cup of fresh cream in a blender.
- Grind the ingredients well to form a fine paste.
- Apply it on your skin and exfoliate it using circular strokes for 5-10 minutes.
- Leave it for another 10 minutes before rinsing it off using cold water.
B. Ayurvedic Exfoliation For Oily Skin
As per Ayurveda, Kapha dosha dominates in people with oily skin. Hence, the ingredients used in ubtan or body scrub should be Kapha pacifying herbs.
- Soak 3 spoons of moong dal overnight.
- Add 1 spoon of fenugreek seeds, 1 spoon of cinnamon powder, and 1 spoon of dried orange peel powder to the soaked dal.
- Add half spoon of neroli essential oil to the mixture and grind all the ingredients to form a fine paste.
- Scrub your skin with the paste using small circulatory motions for 5-10 minutes.
- Leave it for 15 minutes and wash it off with cool water.
C. Ayurvedic Exfoliation For Sensitive Skin
As per Ayurveda, Pitta dosha dominates in people with skin sensitivity. Hence, the ingredients used in ubtan or body scrub should be Pitta pacifying herbs.
- Combine 1 spoon of amalaki powder, 1 spoon of yashtimadhu powder, 1 spoon of rose petal powder, 1 spoon of vetiver powder, half spoon of sariva powder, half spoon of sandalwood powder, and a pinch of turmeric.
- Mix the ingredients well and add the required amount of chandanadi (sandalwood) oil to it to form a thick scrub.
- Apply and massage your skin gently with the scrub for 10-15 minutes.
- Leave it for 20 minutes and then wash it off using water.
D. Ayurvedic Exfoliation For Acne Prone Skin
As per Ayurveda, increased Pitta (primarily) along with Kapha and Vata doshas results in different types of acne. Hence, the ingredients used in ubtan or body scrub should have tridosha pacifying properties along with the effective antibacterial activity.
- Add 1 spoon of neem powder, 1 spoon of turmeric powder, and 1 spoon of fenugreek powder to 2 spoons of multani mitti.
- Mix the ingredients well and add the required amount of sweet almond oil to it to form a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on your skin and gently scrub it for 5 minutes using circular motions.
- Leave it for 20 minutes and then rinse it off using lukewarm water.
Vedix Tip: After exfoliating your skin with Ayurvedic ubtans (scrubs), do not use any other soap on your skin for at least the next 6-8 hours. This gives time for the herbal agents of the scrub to work their magic on your skin.
2. Natural Chemical Exfoliation At Home
A. Natural Chemical Exfoliation For Dry Skin
You can make a natural AHA (alpha hydroxy acid) chemical exfoliant using white cane sugar and yogurt.
- Mix 1/4 cup of cane sugar and 1/4 cup of yogurt to form a slightly granulated paste.
- Apply the mask on your face. Remember to avoid the eye area.
- Leave it for 15 minutes and wipe it off using a soft tissue or a cotton towel.
- After some time, wash your face with cold water.
B. Natural Chemical Exfoliation For Oily Skin
You can make a natural BHA (beta hydroxy acid) chemical exfoliant using baking soda, lemon, and uncoated aspirin tablets.
- Add a spoon of baking soda to a cup of water and set it aside.
- Now, place around 10-12 tablets of uncoated aspirin tablets in a shallow dish and add 2-3 spoons of lemon juice to it.
- Then crush the tablets and dissolve them in the lemon juice using the backside of a spoon.
- Mix the aspirin tablets and lemon juice well to form a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on your skin except on your eye area.
- Leave it for 10 minutes to dry.
- Now, soak a cotton ball in the baking soda solution and use it to wipe off the aspirin peel from your skin.
C. Natural Chemical Exfoliation For Sensitive Skin
Green tea and cucumber have vitamin C or ascorbic acid  which acts as a natural anti-irritant, imparting soothing action on your sensitive skin.
- Mix a cup of green tea, a cup of chamomile tea in 100 ml of water.
- Add a spoon of unflavored gelatin to it.
- Extract juice by blending a small cucumber and add it to the solution.
- Mix the ingredients well and refrigerate the solution for about half an hour until it becomes thick.
- Apply the thickened paste on your skin and leave it until it dries completely.
- Later, use lukewarm water to peel off the mask.
D. Natural Chemical Exfoliation For Acne Prone Skin
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best acne treatments.
- Mix organic and unfiltered apple cider vinegar and apple sauce in equal quantities.
- Stir it well to form a smooth mask.
- Apply it to your skin and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Remove the mask by wiping it off with a soft tissue.
- Give your skin a final rinse with water after some time.
How Often Should You Exfoliate Your Face?
You can schedule the exfoliation process twice or thrice a week. However, it’s always better to choose the frequency of exfoliation based on your skin condition and the type of exfoliant you use.
“As a thumb rule, exfoliate your skin whenever it is about to turn dull and as long as it does not get irritated or dry,” says Dr. Zeel.
What Happens When You Over Exfoliate Your Skin?
Over exfoliation can leave your skin irritated, sore, and bruised. Sometimes, it may also lead to inflamed acne and redness on your skin.
Tips To Exfoliate Your Skin
- Always choose an exfoliant that suits your skin type. Prevent stronger physical or chemical exfoliation  when you have dark spots caused by acne, burns or bug bites.
- Don’t exfoliate your skin if it has damages caused by the sun or any wounds or cuts.
- Remember to keep your skin moisturized after your skin exfoliation session.
- Never do exfoliation aggressively. Be gentle with your skin and find the right schedule based on your skin needs and the exfoliation method you choose.
Please check with your dermatologist before using any of the exfoliators on your skin as mentioned in this article.
The Last Word
Whether you opt for a chemical or physical exfoliation, it is always best to pick natural exfoliants to prevent any unwanted side effects on your skin. The right exfoliation regimen always leaves your skin youthful, healthy, and glowing.
At Vedix, we analyze your skin needs based on which we customize an Ayurvedic skincare regimen best for your unique skin type.Know Your Dosha Now
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful
How can we make this page better?
What did you like about this page?
Thank you for your feedback on this article.