Are you someone who is constantly exposed to physical and emotional stress? From work to personal issues, many of us are prone to get bogged down by the pressures of modern life.
Stress can make your body and mind react in different ways. For example - inability to think, heavy feeling on the chest, sweaty hands, lack of sleep, depression, hair fall or in some cases, sickness.
Thankfully, Ayurveda provides many rejuvenating herbs that can help you deal with stress and hair loss. These herbs are also known as ‘Adaptogens’. What exactly are they and how do they help us? Let’s find out.
What Are Adaptogens And How Do They Work?
Adaptogens are Ayurvedic non-toxic herbs or agents that help your body resist stressors of all kinds - physical and emotional. These herbs help us adapt and adjust to stress by strengthening the immune, nervous, and glandular systems of our body. While managing stress, adaptogens also work to boost hair volume and repair damaged hair.
The herbs are documented in the treatises of early human civilizations, and have been used for over thousands of years. In the mid 1960s, Russian scientists coined the term adaptogens for these herbs.
An adaptogen should:
- Regulate the body's adrenaline levels
- Increase inner strength
- Boost blood and sugar levels
- Help in better functioning of body organs
- Increase energy levels
- Monitor hormonal imbalance
- Repair damaged hair
5 Adaptogen Herbs For Hair Care
Temporary hair loss occurs when our body is stressed out. It is also known as telogen effluvium, wherein the hair follicles are pushed into a resting period. This results in hair shedding. Hair loss also occurs when our body is subjected to inadequate sleep.
Ashwagandha is a powerful and popular Ayurvedic adaptogen that helps relieve stress and increase sleep. It can thrive in arid conditions, where the soil is considered to be of poor quality. Normally, under such conditions most plants die, but ashwagandha survives.
Here are some of the main benefits of Ashwagandha:
- Calms and strengthens the body.
- Reduces negative effects of stress like anxiety and depression.
- Supports the body's brain and nervous system.
- Induces better sleep.
- Strengthens hair.
Tulasi can be found in almost every Indian household. It has great medicinal benefits, due to which it is often called the “queen of herbs”.
Regarded in Ayurveda as an “elixir of life”, tulasi, besides ashwagandha, is also considered as a powerful adaptogen. It helps the body to balance and adapt to stress.
Here are some of the main benefits of Tulasi:
- Tulasi improves blood circulation on the scalp. It reduces scalp itchiness and redness and keeps it cool and hydrated.
- Tulasi has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that help in treating dandruff.
- It cleanses dead cell accumulation and other impurities on the scalp.
- It provides nutrients to the hair follicles, strengthens the hair shaft and reduces hair fall.
The adaptogen Shatavari, also known as Asparagus racemosus, is a member of the asparagus family.
A majority of women today suffer hair loss due to hormonal imbalance. Puberty, pregnancy, PCOS and menopause are some of its causes. Shatavari helps in balancing estrogen, otherwise known as the female sex hormones. If estrogen is high, shatavari tends to lower it and vice versa.
Here are some of the main benefits of Shatavari:
- Promotes fertility.
- Strengthens the uterus.
- Reduces menopausal and menstrual symptoms.
- Supports healthy milk production in nursing women.
- Boosts the immune and digestive system.
- Lifts energy levels in women.
- Keeps scalp and hair healthy.
Amalaki, in Sanskrit means Amrit or fruit of heaven. Commonly known as amla or the Indian Gooseberry, it offers multiple hair and scalp benefits.
The herb is an excellent hair tonic rich in Vitamin C and antioxidants. Amalaki contains phytonutrients that helps increase scalp circulation, strengthen hair follicles and quicken healthy hair growth.
Here are some of the main benefits of Amalaki:
- Promotes healthy hair growth.
- Helps reduce hair greying.
- Reduces dandruff.
- Provides shine and texture to the hair.
Triphala, in Ayurveda, means “three fruits”. It is formed by blending Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Bibhitaki, (Terminalia belerica) and Haritaki (Terminalia chebula) that cure several health problems, including hair issues.
It is important to improve our inner physical system that controls our hair and skin. Unless we maintain our digestive system, our efforts for healthy hair will go in vain.
The adaptogen Triphala acts as a detoxifier to our body. It removes toxins and keeps us healthy from inside.
Here are some of the main benefits of Triphala:
- Rich in antibacterial and antifungal properties.
- Prevents scalp infection and reduces dandruff.
- Makes hair stronger.
- Controls premature greying and hair loss.
- Provides shine to the hair.
- Prevents dryness, frizz and manages split ends.
While there is little evidence that adaptogens can cause side effects or health problems, an herb that is considered universally safe may not be the right herb for you. Various health conditions, mainly pregnancy, needs to be considered when planning to add adaptogens to the diet.
Hence, we recommend you consult a medical doctor to know if you are allergic to any of the above mentioned herbs.
Vedix Can Help You
To figure out what adaptogen is best suited for our hair and body, requires a lot of research. Vedix makes it easier for you by analyzing your hair after asking a few simple questions.
India’s first customized Ayurvedic hair care brand, Vedix’s products are customised according to your hair’s unique needs.
Vedix Customised Hair Care Regimen is highly recommended for the following reasons:
- Vedix takes a holistic approach. It attacks your hair concerns from all corners and makes sure your hair is fully protected.
- Absence of harmful chemicals like parabens and sulphates.
- Infused with modern Ayurveda.
- Tailor-made for you.
- Cruelty free.
Want to get the best hair care regimen? Try Vedix Customised Hair Care Regimen, exclusively crafted for your unique hair needs. Take the Vedix Dosha Assessment Questionnaire today.Know Your Dosha Now
Vedix Customised Ayurvedic Hair Care RegimenBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Anti-Hairfall ShampooBuy Now
Vedix Customised Ayurvedic Anti-Hairfall OilBuy Now
Vedix Ayurvedic Hair Regrowth SerumBuy Now
Vedix Vartha Hydrating No-Frizz Hair ConditionerBuy Now
Vedix Men Care Hair Re-Growth SerumBuy Now
Vedix Men Care Hair Fall Control Shampoo for Dry HairBuy Now
Was this Article helpful?
- Least helpful
- Most helpful
How can we make this page better?
What did you like about this page?
Thank you for your feedback on this article.