The latest buzzword in the wellness world is “Adaptogens”. But what are they and how do they help us better our lifestyle? Read on to know more.
We are constantly exposed to physical and emotional stress. From work to personal - we are prone to the pressures of modern life.
Regular stress can make our body and mind react in different ways
- Unable to think
- Heavy feeling on the chest
- Sweaty hands
In short, all of us feel crushed in some way.
Our bodies’ inability to cope with stress leads to tiredness, lack of sleep, depression or in some cases, sickness.
Thankfully, Ayurveda provides many rejuvenating herbs that helps us deal with daily pressure. These herbs are also known as Adaptogens.
What Are Adaptogens And How Do They Work?
Adaptogens are defined as ayurvedic non toxic herbs or agents that helps our body resist stressors of all kinds - physical and emotional.
These herbs help us adapt and adjust to stress by strengthening the immune, nervous, and glandular systems of our body.
An adaptogen should:
- Regulate the body's adrenaline levels
- Increase inner strength
- Boost up blood and sugar levels
- Help in better functioning of body organs
- Increase energy levels
- Monitor hormonal imbalance
These plants or herbs have been around for millions of years. They have been used as healers in Ayurvedic and Chinese medicines over centuries. But not until the mid 1960s that Russian scientists coined the term adaptogens.
Adaptogen Herbs For Hair Care
While managing stress mechanism, adaptogens also work to boost hair volume and repair damaged hair.
There are many adaptogen herbs that help in promoting healthy hair. Let us know about each of them one by one.
Temporary hair loss occurs when our body is stressed out. It is also known as telogen effluvium, wherein the hair follicles are pushed into a resting period. This results in hair shedding.
Hair loss also occurs when our body is subjected to inadequate sleep.
Ashwagandha is a powerful and popular Ayurvedic adaptogen that helps relieves stress and increase sleep.
It is termed as an adaptogen as interestingly, it can thrive in arid conditions where the soil is considered poor quality. Normally, plants under such conditions die but ashwagandha survives.
Tulasi can be found in almost every Indian household. It has great medicinal benefits due to which it is often called as the “queen of herbs”.
Regarded in Ayurveda as an “elixir of life”, tulasi, besides ashwagandha, is also considered as a powerful adaptogen. It helps the body to balance and adapt to stress.
Tulasi For Hair Care:
- Tulasi improves blood circulation on the scalp. It reduces scalp itchiness and redness and keeps it cool and hydrated.
- Tulasi has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that help in treating dandruff.
- It cleanses dead cell accumulation and other impurities on the scalp.
- It provides nutrients to the hair follicles, strengthens the hair shaft and reduces hair fall.
The adaptogen Shatavri, also known as Asparagus racemosus, is a member of the asparagus family.
A majority of women today suffer hair loss due to hormonal imbalance. Puberty, pregnancy, PCOS and menopause are some of its causes.
It helps in balancing estrogen, otherwise known as the female sex hormones. If estrogen is high, shatavari tends to lower it and vice versa.
- Promote fertility
- Strength the uterus
- Reduce menopausal and menstrual symptoms
- Support healthy milk production in nursing women
- Boost the immune and digestive system
- Lift energy levels in women
Amalaki, in Sanskrit means Amrit or fruit of heaven. Commonly known as amla or the Indian Gooseberry, it offers multiple hair and scalp benefits.
The herb is an excellent hair tonic rich in Vitamin C and antioxidants. It acts as a natural conditioner, reduces greying and promotes hair growth.
Benefits Of Amalaki For Hair Care:
- Promote Healthy Hair Growth
- Amalaki contains phytonutrients that helps increase scalp circulation, strengthen hair follicles and quicken healthy new growth.
- Helps Reduce Hair Greying
- Premature greying is caused by various factors such as stress, excessive body heat, vitamin deficiencies, genetics, an imbalance of antioxidants or certain medical condition like thyroid.
- Amla, as an adaptogen, acts as a natural coolant to the body. It is also a natural hair dye that helps renew pigmentation in hair thus making it look darker and thicker.
- Reduces Dandruff
- Amalaki or amla has anti-inflammatory has antimicrobial properties that help fight dandruff.
- Its incredible healing properties help relieve scalp redness, irritation, and itchiness.
- Great Natural Conditioner
- Amla cleanses the scalp and helps remove calcium deposit or product built-up.
- It is an excellent natural conditioner that provides shine and texture to the hair, making it look healthy.
Triphala, in Ayurveda, means “three fruits”. It is formed by blending Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Bibhitaki, (Terminalia belerica) and Haritaki (Terminalia chebula) that cure several health problems including hair.
It is important to improve our inner physical system that controls our hair and skin. Unless we maintain our digestive system, our efforts for a healthy hair is nil.
The adaptogen Triphala acts as a detoxifier to our body. It removes toxins and keeps us healthy from inside.
Triphala for Hair Care:
- The herb Triphala is often taken in the form of churna. Churna is obtained by mixing the three fruits in the right proportion.
- Triphala churna contains Haritaki, rich in antibacterial and antifungal properties. It help prevents scalp infection and reduces dandruff.
- Amla, another ingredient in the Triphala churna, is rich in Vitamin C and keratin. These provide nutrients such as essential fatty acids and Vitamin B3 to the hair shafts and make them strong.
- Triphala churna damages free radicals that influence premature greying and hair loss.
- Triphala churna helps in building shine to our hair by cleaning our digestive system.
- The three fruits in Triphala churna contains essential oils that prevents dryness, frizziness, manages split ends, reduces tangles and makes hair more manageable.
How Safe Are Adaptogens
While there is little evidence that adaptogens can cause side effects or health problems, an herb that is considered universally safe may not be the right herb for you.
Various health conditions, mainly pregnancy, needs to be considered when planning to add adaptogens to the diet.
Hence, we recommend you consult a medical doctor to know if you are allergic to certain herbs before considering making adaptogens.
Vedix Can Help You
To figure out what adaptogen is best suited for our hair and body, requires a lot of research. But frankly speaking, who has the time?
There is another way where you can have strong, healthy and shiny hair. And that way is the Vedix way.
Vedix Customised Hair Care Regimen, India’s first Ayurvedic hair care brand where products are customised according to your hair’s unique needs.
With Vedix, you can know your hair’s Ayurvedic profile. Just answer a few questions by taking the Vedix Dosha Assessment Questionnaire and get your hair analysis. This information can determine your hair’s exact composition and its unique needs.
Vedix Customised Hair Care Regimen is highly recommended for the following reasons:
- Vedix takes a holistic approach. It attacks your hair concerns from all corners and makes sure your hair is fully protected.
- Absence of harmful chemicals like parabens and sulphates
- Infused with modern Ayurveda
- Tailor-made for you
- Cruelty free
Want to get the best hair care regimen? Try Vedix Customised Hair Care Regimen, exclusively crafted for your unique hair needs. Take the Vedix Dosha Assessment Questionnaire today.